This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can APT correlate with difficulty with hollow hold progressions?

Started by David Pardy 340028, February 7, 2019 · 2 Replies · 81 Views

David Pardy 340028

Hi,

I've been working Foundations for a few months now, and seem to be stalling a little bit with FL/PE1.

I have historically had issues with lower back pain which in 2012 I accounted to drastic APT, which I have worked hard to repair.  I believe I've compensated for the muscular strength deficits, however slacked off on hip flexor/psoas flexibility and I only noticed how bad it was the other day when playing around with handstand work.  So I've upped my frequency and intensity for APT corrective exercises and stretching.

I am just wondering if the APT may be contributing to my slowed progress with HH progressions?  Also, is it worth working on FL/PE3 or PE5 on occasion to modify the intensity of the work?  I can hold a normal hollow hold (arms overhead) for around 4x30s, whereas I can usually do 5x40s with the bent variation.

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, David Pardy 340028 said:

Hi,

I've been working Foundations for a few months now, and seem to be stalling a little bit with FL/PE1.

I have historically had issues with lower back pain which in 2012 I accounted to drastic APT, which I have worked hard to repair.  I believe I've compensated for the muscular strength deficits, however slacked off on hip flexor/psoas flexibility and I only noticed how bad it was the other day when playing around with handstand work.  So I've upped my frequency and intensity for APT corrective exercises and stretching.

I am just wondering if the APT may be contributing to my slowed progress with HH progressions?  Also, is it worth working on FL/PE3 or PE5 on occasion to modify the intensity of the work?  I can hold a normal hollow hold (arms overhead) for around 4x30s, whereas I can usually do 5x40s with the bent variation.

HI David, absolutely YES. spine works as a single unit. if one part is more mobile, this limitation will be reflected over the other parts. this means that a spine that does not flex will result in a limited range of movement on flexion.

David Pardy 340028

Ok, thanks Alex!