This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tight Hamstrings, No Progress in split stretch

Started by Gregory Ferenstein, February 4, 2019 · 9 Replies · 201 Views

Gregory Ferenstein

All,

I've done the front split stretch series for several months but am not making any progress on the portion where I'm up in upright lunge position with my back knee on the ground and heel out in front touching the ground on the other leg. It feels like there's a long piece of tight muscle that extends from the middle of my hamstring to the bottom of my glut.To get over this, I've tried a few things that help but not much

1. I roll out my lower middle glut where my leg connects. It's extremely sensitive. I then try to roll out fo the rest of it along my hamstring

2. I do rhythmic breathing while doing a few rounds of isometric stretches in the same position. 

Still, I feel like i'm not getting much stretch and I can only hold the position for so long. Thanks for any help!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Gregory, please post a video of your execution from the front and from the side. bad execution, bad angles, wrong muscles involvement? hoping for progress?

also remember to post on the correct private section, this time I move the post for you.

Gregory Ferenstein

Thanks! I hope I've taken the video right. Here's my form from the side and back

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q63t4DEvbWGH5aXX6

Please let me know if there's a better way to get the info to the forum

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Gregory, I think you have one of the tightest hips extension I've ever seen. now, i suggest you work daily on hips extension. that is this pose with the front foot completely on the floor and the front knee bent. the aim si moving the hips forward. DAILY.

Gregory Ferenstein

Thanks for the message, but I think that stretches a different muscle, yes? I have a regular practice where I'm trying to open up my front hip but in this case the problem is my hamstring. What do you do to suggest that I open up my hamstrings? Thank you

Alessandro Mainente

The pose you linked is what you need but if you posterior hip does not extend you cannot increase the stretch. 

Gregory Ferenstein

Thanks for the reply but I guess I’m a bit confused. Can you help me understand what you mean? I haven’t seen anything in gymnastics bodies that links the posterior hip flexibility to the hamstring stretch. Thanks again

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Gregory Ferenstein said:

Thanks for the reply but I guess I’m a bit confused. Can you help me understand what you mean? I haven’t seen anything in gymnastics bodies that links the posterior hip flexibility to the hamstring stretch. Thanks again

Simply you referred about no improvement in the lunge position. I've stated that actually, your major problem here is the hip extension of the posterior leg. if there are a strong limitation here your lower back tend to stay arched and flat and this increase the tension on the hamstring of the front leg. personally speaking in your case i would work more on the hip extension. it's too less.

Gregory Ferenstein

Ah i understand. Is there a way to stretch hamstrings in a different position that still helps me make progress on a fromt split but that doesn’t get hindered by lack of flexibility in the posterior hip? I am working on hip flexibility in a different position too. thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

hi Gregory, if you access the course library from the top right corner of the course page, then select the stretch course and then the front split course (second icon to the rigth for the list of exercise) i think that FSSSE15 and FSSSE16 can be very good for you...especially if you proceed by bending a bit the anterior knee.