This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form check for the lumbar back

Started by Marco Levati, February 3, 2019 · 3 Replies · 126 Views

Marco Levati

Hi, once at a yoga class the teacher told me that "if you can feel some bumps on your back (the vertebras), then it means your back is not straight". In GB terms, it should be "posterior pelvic tilt". I am doing the stretches series since 2 months now, and this is the best I can get without slouching my back.

Actually bending the back I can even touch my knee with my head. 

Is this form ok? Is there a way to target just the lumbar part of the back when stretching hamstrings?

 

IMG-7238.JPG

IMG-7239.JPG

IMG-7241.JPG

IMG-7244.JPG

IMG-7242.JPG

Alessandro Mainente

HI Marko, in the second photo if would reduce the spine bending if possible. put something under your left glutes so that the spine does not bend.

Marco Levati

I inverted the block position (under my butt instead of my feet) and my back is really straight now, I feel the anterior tilt finally.

However I have a question: during the Middle split series, should I look for the same spine position? Or the focus there is on other muscles?

I ask this because, if I allow the lower back to round like in the pictures above, I can do the pancake walks, sweeps etc... and I still have the feeling of being "tall and long" but if I keep the anterior pelvic completely straight, I cannot even sit on an elevated straddle on blocks. If I help pushing with my arms from the back of my back, I can reach this assisted anterior pelvic tilt.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Marco, the type of tilt position depends on how you perform the split:

-if you imagine to sit on the ground and straddle the legs so there is no internal rotation) you need to stay neutral or in a little PPT.

-if you imagine beginning from a standing position with parallel feet (so there is internal rotation) , the more you move down the more you need to hold an APT.