This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand schedule

Started by Eloy Bote, January 30, 2019 · 13 Replies · 259 Views

Eloy Bote

Hi,

Currently I'm doing handstand 2 since july 2018 but now I want to do handstand 1 and improve my shape. I do thoracic bridge course too and my pt works on my shoulders, pecs, lats and such to help me open my shoulder angle. I'm posting my handstand video so coach can give me advice of my schedule. This video is from july 2018, I can post an updated one tomorrow (I hope my shape is better).

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Eloy, personally i find that the reduction on shoulder flexion is enough to focus more on this. Actually, you are doing one of the most popular mistakes: practicing handstand without proper requirements, in your case shoulder flexion and, as a consequence, the alignment. in this way you are training a motor schema that is wrong and, once the shoulder mobility is fixed, you will spend a lot of time correcting it.

Eloy Bote
10 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Eloy, personally i find that the reduction on shoulder flexion is enough to focus more on this. Actually, you are doing one of the most popular mistakes: practicing handstand without proper requirements, in your case shoulder flexion and, as a consequence, the alignment. in this way you are training a motor schema that is wrong and, once the shoulder mobility is fixed, you will spend a lot of time correcting it.

Thank you Alessandro, I will start with handstand 1 then. Should I start from the very beginning or can I do a check of exercises to see where I start doing it wrong?

Alessandro Mainente

You can perform a sort of test from the first element but i sincerely think that you will stop at first IM.

Eloy Bote
44 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

You can perform a sort of test from the first element but i sincerely think that you will stop at first IM.

OK you're probably right haha. I do that on my daily warm out routine and I don't reach that far, but maybe I'm wrong but seems that the guy at the video is using a grip wider than shoulder width apart? Loooking at the pics of the course all the exercises seem to have a wider shoulder width than me, I always try to have parallel arms with 90 degrees but maybe it's too narrow?

Alessandro Mainente

The standard required it the shoulder width plus one hand each side..

Eloy Bote
15 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The standard required it the shoulder width plus one hand each side..

Thank you Alessandro I really appreciate your help :)

Today I checked the mobility of shoulder flexion. Yesterday night I did the thoracic bridge course and today my upper back muscles are tired but anyways I did my best. I grabbed the stick at the knees with the legs crossed like the sample, I hope it's right. Oh and my elbows are a bit hyperextended, I'm sorry but I can't do anything about that.

The feeling with this exercises is like i'm about to inlocate the shoulders. In fact, the soulder inlocates I usually do are a bit wider than that, maybe I'm doing wrong... oh and sorry for the light, my skin is super white and I reflect the light haha.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Eloy, actually you are showing the common mistake that is flexing the upper arm without leaning forward. also, I need to see the exercise from the back in order to check for possible shoulder dislocate that is not the goal of the exercise.

Eloy Bote
17 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Eloy, actually you are showing the common mistake that is flexing the upper arm without leaning forward. also, I need to see the exercise from the back in order to check for possible shoulder dislocate that is not the goal of the exercise.

Tanks! Today I tried it again and I think that I understand what you say. I have to protract the scapula instead of rectracting (that's what I was doing) and then pull my chest forward. The scapula need to be elevated too, right?

Can I do this exercise everyday after my workout to see improvement?

Jeffrey Bittner

Absolutely! You can always add in some extra mobility work on your off days. As you do this iM try to keep your shoulders in a neutral position while only focusing on flexion. In addition to Alex's comment about your lean, try not to stick your head forward and out during this exercise.

Eloy Bote

Just a quick update on this. I went to the pt and showed the technique video, we tried it and said that I got the scapular movement, my shoulders are reaching their full range of motion, but the 180º flexion requires spine movement that I lack. Because I have a little kyphosis that movement of the spine is a handicap for me, and after some manipulation I did it better. I'm working on the thoracic spine opening everyday with some exercises recommended by my pt, for example I lay over the foam roller perpendicular to my body to push away the vertebrae of the thoracic section, no roll just letting gravity do the work. I'm adding inverted cat stretch every day at the end of the workout too, I hope this helps!

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Eloy Bote said:

Just a quick update on this. I went to the pt and showed the technique video, we tried it and said that I got the scapular movement, my shoulders are reaching their full range of motion, but the 180º flexion requires spine movement that I lack. Because I have a little kyphosis that movement of the spine is a handicap for me, and after some manipulation I did it better. I'm working on the thoracic spine opening everyday with some exercises recommended by my pt, for example I lay over the foam roller perpendicular to my body to push away the vertebrae of the thoracic section, no roll just letting gravity do the work. I'm adding inverted cat stretch every day at the end of the workout too, I hope this helps!

3

this is not correct. full flexion does not require a spine movement.

in case of kyphosis is EXTREMELY RECOMMENDED to fix it prior to full flexion work. the risk of getting shoulder injury is definitely higher with a rounded back.

Eloy Bote
46 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

this is not correct. full flexion does not require a spine movement.

in case of kyphosis is EXTREMELY RECOMMENDED to fix it prior to full flexion work. the risk of getting shoulder injury is definitely higher with a rounded back.

I did not state it correctly. My thoracic spine is slightly flexed and can't reach full shoulder flexion, that's why he is working with me on thoracic extension.

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Eloy Bote said:

I did not state it correctly. My thoracic spine is slightly flexed and can't reach full shoulder flexion, that's why he is working with me on thoracic extension.

now is clear!!! don't worry! ;-)