Training an Azarian (straight body backward roll to cross)

Started by Geoffrey Taucer, May 6, 2008 · 3 Replies · 4,627 Views

Geoffrey Taucer

I am preparing to come out of retirement as a competetive gymnast and resume competition. One skill I'd really like to have for my rings routine is an Azarian.

What would be the safest and most effective way to train this skill?

(Alternately, I could do a Pineda instead; A pull from front lever to cross. Any tips on training that would be appreciated as well)

Gregor

With spotter-coach!!!

John Sapinoso

i'd say train the azarian before you train the pineada, seems like it would be less damaging since the pineada is usually performed in a ballistic bouncing motion

im actually looking to get the same skill and it sounds like we're of similar strength levels, here's what i've been experimenting with:

when you pass through your weakest point, usually the horizontal, pull your heels to your butt to give yourself extra leverage and ease through the transition then straighten them as you arrive in the cross

pull up with a slight arch in the back to generate a small amount of potential momentum, straighten arms rock back and then go through the azarian

azarian to high cross or even support then lower down

combine the three aids if necessary and remove them as it becomes easier

you can also get a spot or try what i did and set up a counter balance rig

Gregor

I've done pineda first...and I thik it's safer. In pineda you don't need to turn your sholders around, at azarian you do.

For Azarian you must push the rings down already at the inverted hand. If you won't it would be like you're trying to do nakayama with out bouncing. Bouncing makes it easier.

But In pineda almost every one bend their elbows and I think azarian is the most beautiful cross with homna cross. on the same side :roll: