This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapular shrugs

Started by Iain McLean, January 16, 2019 · 11 Replies · 165 Views

Iain McLean

After working on a wrist issue, I’m back to scapular shrugs.  How do these look?

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Iain, well some corrections are needed:

-notice that you are bending your right elbows;

-notice also that the weight is moved to your left arm. keep the weight equally distributed.

Iain McLean

I’ve worked to try to be more balanced and not bend so much in the elbow, although I find it very challenging to keep elbows locked.  Is this ok now @Alessandro Mainente

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 2/2/2019 at 9:51 PM, Iain McLean said:

I’ve worked to try to be more balanced and not bend so much in the elbow, although I find it very challenging to keep elbows locked.  Is this ok now @Alessandro Mainente

 

Now this is ok, the elbow locked is imperative, everything else is a compensation.

Iain McLean

Have finally reached mastery.  Ok to move on?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Iain, a personal suggestion is taking off your shirt when showing the movement of scapulae. well. seems that retraction is better than protraction. you can still have some room of improvement, especially in the swivel hips. i suggest you finish the IM with a good contraction where you try to move actively the knee into the floor.

Iain McLean

@Alessandro Mainente I’ve shot a set of the shrugs with no shirt.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Ian, thy this one for me. perform this shrugs in front of a wall, i want to see th range fo motion with less intensity. hold the elbows locked.

Iain McLean

@Alessandro Mainente

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey iain, well no matter the intensity, your abduction is incomplete. it can be due to tight erector spinae or scapuale adductors.

if you have the TBSS you can do a bit more of exercise number 9 and 13 and then try again the shrugs and see how the range of motion improves.

Iain McLean
15 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey iain, well no matter the intensity, your abduction is incomplete. it can be due to tight erector spinae or scapuale adductors.

if you have the TBSS you can do a bit more of exercise number 9 and 13 and then try again the shrugs and see how the range of motion improves.

I am definitely tight in stretch 9 from TB, not so much 13.  I did as you recommended and also tried pushing a little harder today.  Here are a few reps from after my workout.  I wonder if I am flexing my spine too much.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Nope, look at this huge difference! as you can see we solved a problem.