This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hanging leg lifts

Started by Christopher Denzer, December 25, 2018 · 17 Replies · 360 Views

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Christoper, if you are using a bar behind your shoulders the bar needs to be higher because you are still leaning back with the shoulders.

Christopher Denzer

Please see my next attempt. I am using straps, as a bar puts uncomfortable pressure on my shoulders.

 1. https://youtu.be/Ypc3HzKHsQA

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Christopher, how is your pike? actually in order to reach the bar you need to lift your hips so that the upper body is almost horizontal. ideally, with good compression, the hips should be held as lower as possible. I'm gonna ask you to show the mastery of IM6.

Christopher Denzer

HI Alex:

 "actually in order to reach the bar you need to lift your hips so that the upper body is almost horizontal."

I think you are saying here that I should NOT be lifting my hips, right? I need to drop them a number of degrees to match what the athlete in the first pic has. Here's a link to the IM that you asked for. Sorry it took me a couple of tries to get the bars right. 

https://youtu.be/hXYwUgi-Myc

 

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 1.23.10 PM.png

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Christopher, i've take a look to your video of IM. well, consider that the range of motion at 2:34 is what you need to perform correctly the actual PE. the general mistake is considering mastered an element only if you reach the desired range of motion (or at least what you need to move forward) somewhere in the sets.

the concept of mastery is the opposite, you need to reach the desired range of motion (in this case IM) from the first set.

Christopher Denzer

HI Alex:

OK, I understand. My HLL should look like picture 2. So, my question is, how do I improve my compression? I have been doing  v-sits, straddles, pike lifts for years and obviously it hasn't helped enough. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 9.12.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 9.12.57 AM.png

Christopher Denzer

OK. Still trying this one. Any pointers are appreciated. Clearly my hips are coming away from vertical, but I am not sure how to stop that. Should I go back to negatives and work the top position somehow before lowering?

https://youtu.be/RJ50Evzh1SI

 

Bill Marr

Hey Christopher:

Are you using the Front Split course? That has helped me immeasurably with increasing compression. I think that's why Alessandro was asking about your pike. 

Bill

Christopher Denzer

Hi Bill:

yeah ive been doing the front split course for a bit more than a year now. I’m not sure flexibility is the issue because I can get my chest to my knees in a seated pike and palms to floor in a standing pike. I guess I just don’t have the core strength?

Alessandro Mainente

Probably spending some work more on the previous element can be helpful, show me that one next time, i'll give you an intermediate step if necessary.

Christopher Denzer

Hi Alex:

I tried negative HLLs and they were very painful on my shoulders, they feel like they are being pulled out. Regular HLLs do not hurt as much. I can feel that i am using my lats and other muscles to control the descent, but I just don't know how to keep from engaging my shoulders and back on these. Very frustrated. I have been doing the Thoracic series for more than a year now, so I also don't know what to do about shoulder pain on these. Please give me some suggestions!

https://youtu.be/be86sgfSj0M

https://youtu.be/XsN2gnvPk-s

https://youtu.be/hccstpPYJaI

https://youtu.be/ALLqVFqS0jc

https://youtu.be/v71vvFoFttY

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Christopher, yes you are definitely using more your lats. so follow these suggestions:

-use the band as you showed y in another previous video;

-in order to improve compression, reach inside the bar with your feet (no matter how);

-extend the knees at let your hips move lower;

-this is a good way to obtain specific posterior chain mobility;

-for the shoulders try some grip variation, from wider to narrow and see how is goes.

-you have foundations 1 so...from the course page, in the top right corner, click on the "barbell" symbol, then click on course library. then select foundations, foundations 1 and then hollowback press, scroll down to the last element. can you see the IM? well, i suggest you a daily practice on that.

Christopher Denzer

Thanks, Alex. I can’t believe I never thought of experimenting with grip width.:facepalm:

Christopher Denzer

Hi Alex:

Here's another try using the steps you mentioned above. Changing grip width doesn't make these any easier on my shoulders, but I will keep stretching and hopefully it will improve. Should I just keep trying these following the negative hanging leg lift mastery template?

https://youtu.be/AZNgb2v8x8M

 

Alessandro Mainente

Definitely better...for yout shoulder maybe is the case to hear a PT opinion, working on pain is never a good solution.

Christopher Denzer

Latest try

1. https://youtu.be/uEleeuDq_Rk

2. https://youtu.be/z-o8PZY4i5Q

in re: shoulder pain, PT said no issues. Problem was the strap was offset too far in front of the pull-up bar, forcing shoulders into painful position when supporting passive weight. Fixed it by extending pull-up bar in front. 

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

very nice, i like them. for the bar ideally with a healthy shoulder you should be able to still use the higher and strap on the same position without the necessity of moving the pullup bar in the front.