This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapular winging

Started by Charbel Ammar, December 25, 2018 · 3 Replies · 95 Views

Charbel Ammar

Hey guys,
I have a question 
Whenever I go into bent arm planche, or do so some push ups, no matter how much I protract and depress my shoulders my scapulas still wings, when I’m in a straight arm position nothing is there, but when I go down to the bent arm position as in the picture the scapula stick out

it’s been the case even before strating GB training, and I didn’t notice it at first, yet no matter how much exercises I do it’s not going away; no symptom is present, I can hold 4x90 seconds free handstand and as for my planche progess it’s also getting better, and yet it’s persisting

Any suggestions?

Or is it alright?

That’s a video where it’s even clearer

Charbel Ammar

2CBA5684-328A-4138-8669-BA1DA38A1072.jpeg

Charbel Ammar

Never mind guys, I found it, shoulders depressed protracted and at the same time while the body is contracted, the humerus should completely/fully roll in the glenoid cavity otherwise the scapulas will wing...

4A01238B-5936-430A-86DE-4D1FBE72034C.thumb.jpeg.7d801e438e26f12335912ed6a58f56b1.jpeg

Charbel Ammar

Alessandro Mainente

HI Charbel, there are 3 types of winged scapulae, first type regards the case where all the medial scapuale is away from the correct position. the 2nd where only the lower part is off and tilted forward, the last one where the upper medial edge is lifted and shifted from the correct position. every case has its own correction. you should check with a PT. also if you can hold a decent 30'' tuck planche you should have no problem. if the problem persists probably a dynamic strength deficit, something that you cannot fix with static hold like a planche, in this case, a specific scapular pushup in the maximum planche lean is a possible solution. all the suggestions have less importance until you understand the nature of the problem.

Charbel Ammar

Hey Alessandro, thanks for the answer.

I already mastered my tuck planche, shoulders fully protracted and depressed and the serratus anterior is holding the scapulas fully on my rib cage alright, now still need 6 secs to fully master the open tuck...

Anyway, I’m on my way to be a Physical therapist, I was frustrated in beginning on why it’s not working; I train alone, so I always have a mirror to check my form, and today I noticed my error, I taugh myself  the push ups in a wrong way in the beginning, I used to retract when my chest was going to touch the floor; anyway everything is going fine now 

Thanks again,

Charbel Ammar