This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Calf raises, Curled seiza after toe surgery

Started by John Devereux, December 19, 2018 · 1 Replies · 45 Views

John Devereux

I recently had surgery on my big toe for arthritis and I'm just starting the FS series.  I have been cleared for any activity from my Dr. but there is still some swelling and stiffness in my toe. I also haven't been able to bend it for about 10 years now so I'm sure the tendons are tight, etc.  I can only do the calf raises with a very small range of motion if I'm keeping the weight on the ball of my foot.  I'm fine doing them because I know it will help move my toe but should I for this series with such a small range of motion?  I've read some of the calf raises are to warm up the ankle, is there something else I should be doing or just scale up the calf raises.  I am only getting my heal 1-2" off the ground at this point. 

I have the same problem for the curled seiza, I think I might just have to skip this one for a while.  I am doing separate toe stretches each day to help this.  

For more detail the surgery I had was arthroplasty to remove bone spurs and an implant for synthetic cartilage. 

Thanks in advance,

JD

Alessandro Mainente

Hey John, I would work one foot at a time grabbing your finger with your hand and moving it through the entire range of motion. then with some elastic band some specific work to get back your strength. no seiza work until you reach the same range of motion of the other foot.