This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

straddle up tips

Started by PAUL DALY, December 16, 2018 · 1 Replies · 117 Views

PAUL DALY

I've been working on this exercise for I think 6 months. maybe more.

I can't do even 1 correctly because I can't keep my knees locked out to any acceptable level of compression. 

The limiting factor isn't my core strength I don't think -- it's my hamstrings and calves and to a less extent hips.

I've been working on improving my mobility very aggressively -- with some results. but not enough to do one of these properly.

any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

 

Antonio Alías Montoya

If you have little flexibility in your hamstrings then is like trying to push a wall, it ll never move it, doesn t matter how hard you try. Maybe you could post a picture of your pike and pancake so we can be sure if that s the problem. I m still working on tuck ups for over 2 years already. Same problem like you, hamstrings. Since 5 months ago I started having faster results.

I m stretching them 3 times a week, 2 times unweighted and 1 weighted. After the weighted one I rest for 2 days.

I don t strecht by time. I strecht by feeling. First softer, at the end harder. Always relaxed. Always looking for the tight spots and loosening them. It s kind of a meditation. Think of it like releasing, freeing, liberating your body. So never force it. Always stop inmediately if you feel pain or strain. Not everyday you can go so deep into the strecht. Don t care about progressing on straddle ups, only about improving your flexibility and the rest will follow.

Use different stretches aswell, not every strecht work as good as others for everyone, so keep trying, changing, feeling, modifying, find the the tight spots, do pulses, go in, out and into the strecht again, you should cheat you nervous system, teach it there is no risk to be there, so relaxed mindful awareness.

I ve read about your problem before and I care deeply about the people that is suffering the way I ve been suffering for 2 years. I want to tell you a good new and a bad one:

First the good new, you re not alone, there are many more like you.

Now the bad new, you are alone... no one will fix that for you. Even if you are lucky enough to be coached by a good coach you have to learn for yourself how to release your body.

Stretching is more an art than a science or at least half half.

I wish you free of movement @PAUL DALY!

Don t give up!