This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Road to Open Planche Single Leg Extension sPL/SE5

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, December 10, 2018 · 4 Replies · 215 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello GB community.

I mastered the open planche progression, and I aim to move to the next progression. However I've soon realized that strenght required is huge, even for my light bodyweight and shape.

In order to check my current level, here two videos.

In this first one, I show a sort of advanced open planche, in which I spread both legs and I am able to keep position this way for 4-5 sets . This is my best: if I try to spread legs further, and lean more forward, I feel it is too much for my shoulders and I fail.

 

In this second video, I try from open planche position to spread only one leg, keeping it bent, in order to bring thigh parallel to the floor (a sort of half straddle planche single leg)... but this is my best, no more than this level. Forget to straighten leg, no chance to bring it at horizontal level.

 

Moreover, This is my iM, in order to check if this is also a mobility issue:

 

On this basis, what would you suggest to do in order to be able to work on Open Planche Single Leg Extensions? Should I build more volume on the open adv planche as shown in the first video, or build some volume with a further lean or something else?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thank you!

Alessandro

 

 

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Alessandro, well. from a more progressive work you can consider to move into the adv tuck planche (hips 90° of flexion) with heels on the glutes, this increases the leverage at the hips but reduces the leverage at the knees.

the choice of using the one leg half straddle is ok BUT consider that if you use the open tuck leg position for the "resting" leg you are putting a lot of PTT on the hip and is very hard to produce a hip extension plus knee flexion with the other leg. if you proceed first with the adv tuck so that the hips flexion is reduced a bit you should be able after to do the one leg half straddle.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
9 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Alessandro, well. from a more progressive work you can consider to move into the adv tuck planche (hips 90° of flexion) with heels on the glutes, this increases the leverage at the hips but reduces the leverage at the knees.

the choice of using the one leg half straddle is ok BUT consider that if you use the open tuck leg position for the "resting" leg you are putting a lot of PTT on the hip and is very hard to produce a hip extension plus knee flexion with the other leg. if you proceed first with the adv tuck so that the hips flexion is reduced a bit you should be able after to do the one leg half straddle.

I have a plan now! Thank you Ale! You are the best!

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello GB community! 

Here's un update of my work towards this progression.

In this video I show a couple of reps:

I think form needs improvements, maybe my legs should Be more in line with torso. What should I think to do in order to get the best form? Maybe should I think to lean more forward? I still Need to build more confidence, in some attempts I fall forward... anyway, any feedback and tips Will Be Gold! 

Thanks in Advance!

Alessandro

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Alessandro, try to look closer when you extend one leg, how much it is closer to your yellow shirt on the floor. your left one is definitely closer. this means that the amount of straddle between left and right is different.

Personally, I think that with pbars the execution will be better.