This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Skater squats

Started by Arsen Giller, December 8, 2018 · 9 Replies · 180 Views

Arsen Giller

Hi all,

 

iVe recently started doing skater squats and have noticed that on the decent my knees collapse inward rather then staying in a straight line with my hip and toes. 

 

Not it sure if this is normal. I’m wondering if this gets fixed as I keep working through it or a sign that I moved on too early from previous exercises or mobility. 

 

Any thoughts?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Arsen, knee collapsing inside is not good.

first solution: think about pulling is outside by arching the feet;

if the first does not work: put something under your heel like 1 cm height surface. loop how it goes. if this way solves the problem then the problem is the ankle mobility.

Arsen Giller

Hi Alessandro,

 

i suspected something like this. So I will test. I will test with elevating the heel. If I do notice that elevating the heel helps and it is an ankle mobility issue, what is the solve. Do I just keep working with an elevated heel? Do I do more ankle mobility work( ankle restore eeriest a few more times a week) while still working the exercise without elevating the heel?

If elevating the heel does not help, what is the next thing I should look for?

thanks,

Arsen Giller

I did see some improvement with being able to keep my knee in line when defending after inserting a 1 inch platform(I used a book) under my heel. I also have to mention that this only happens with my right(dominant) leg. 

 

Now that hat I have this somewhat diagnosed what steps do I take to fix it?

Alessandro Mainente
On 12/9/2018 at 4:27 PM, Arsen Giller said:

I did see some improvement with being able to keep my knee in line when defending after inserting a 1 inch platform(I used a book) under my heel. I also have to mention that this only happens with my right(dominant) leg. 

 

Now that hat I have this somewhat diagnosed what steps do I take to fix it?

Begin with the good habit of feeling the weight on the side when you are squatting. what about the normal life...walking...running etc. i think that a checkup with a PT is a good solution to understand the problem FIRST. then we can find a solution!

Arsen Giller

I got checked out at a PT. It seems my problem is flat feet and over pronation. When I showed the pt the excercises I’m doing his opinion was that’s what is causing the hip instability. 

 

He recomended wearing shoes with  more support while I work out.  I told him that I usually do the workouts barefoot.

What are your thoughts? Anything I can do to correct this. I’m sure you’ve seen other athletes with this issue. 

 

Thanks 

Arsen

Alessandro Mainente

Usually, hips instability can be caused by foot but also the opposite. he/she has checked you so follow his/her suggestion.

Arsen Giller

Well outside of wearing shoes he didn’t really give me a suggestion. Is there a way to streangthen arches so I can continue to work barefoot or should I just work with sneakers?

Alessandro Mainente

Sincerely I cannot have an answer for you because I cannot check you in person. As stated previously the problem can be both hips and feet. now use a pronation reduction and see how it goes.

Arsen Giller

Thanks Alessandro. I’ll give it shot in sneakers.