This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Side Lever Block alternatives

Started by Christopher Denzer, December 3, 2018 · 5 Replies · 110 Views

Christopher Denzer

Hi forum:

As a result of a shoulder injury, I’m unable to press sufficiently away from the bar with my lower left arm. I’ll probably also be a unable to rotate my arm through the shoulder capsule in the upcoming side lever  twist for a long time until the shoulder heals. 

 

What exercises can I perform to strengthen the shoulder girdle to get me back to side lever practice while I’m in the road back? 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Christopher, it depends on the problem. do you know the cause of the problem? did you have a PT check? it is like having a car and asking how you can use it until the mechanic repairs the car. if the problem is the tires you cannot use the car until is repaired. if the problem is the engine... the same problem as mentioned. if you had an injury you need to solve it but you need to work paired with a PT, the worst thing is asking advice online, risking to have bad suggestions!

Christopher Denzer

Hi alessandro:

yes I have been to the PT and we are waiting for the MRI. Most likely it is a labrum tear. I suppose what I am asking for is not realistic: exercise/s that do not involve the shoulder but can aid with side lever work later when the injury is healed. 

Nick Murray

Easy, AS LONG AS YOU ABSOLUTELY ISOLATE THE SHOULDER FROM ANY MOVEMENT until the PT gives  you the all-clear to resume training of the upper body AND you have enough strength to perform the movement at all. If you're up to side blocks, you should have enough oblique strength, but ask the PT anyway. Ideally your PT will have had experience with gymnasts and will have some idea of what you're talking about

You can lie sideways on a back hyperextension machine, or Glute-ham developer (put the foot rest at the same height as the hip support). Slowly lower yourself as far as you can. Return to horizontal and arch up if you are able. It's an arch up, but sideways.

It is much more intense than the PE exercises. Perhaps you can just use it as a stretch, initially.

If you try this:

  • Get your PT or surgeon to tell you when you can do this (having had a full labrum repair, it took three months before I was able to resume upper body work, the time off for you will be different: different injury, different surgeon, different technique, different results. But I'll guess you won't be able to train for at least 4-6 weeks post-op).
  • Get someone to spot you (given you will have use of only one shoulder).

You could also try side-arches on the floor, using yoga bolsters or cushions to make sure you don't roll over, making sure to not lie ON the operated shoulder.

The default answer many health professionals will give is conservative: rest, don't do anything. I couldn't stop training, training is life!!! So don't push things too far, and realise that you will eventually get back to training properly.

 

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Christopher Denzer said:

Hi alessandro:

yes I have been to the PT and we are waiting for the MRI. Most likely it is a labrum tear. I suppose what I am asking for is not realistic: exercise/s that do not involve the shoulder but can aid with side lever work later when the injury is healed. 

The problem of the labrum tear is that is always involved in exercises where the upper arm is rotating into the socket OR the arm is fixed (like stallbar) and the body rotates around the head of the humerus. only to be clear if you want to train again with no problem you need o take a surgery. the conservative approach is useful for non-athlete.

Christopher Denzer

Thanks, guys! Good advice.