This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pancake progress (+questions)

Started by Tom Bussien, December 1, 2018 · 5 Replies · 136 Views

Tom Bussien

Hi guys, I want to share my standing pancake. I started with very bad mobility, and I'm starting to see some progress. I've been on the stretch series for 2 months now (started F1 2 weeks before that). Doing each series once a week. I really like them.

I wanna know, for someone who can't sit in a straddle on the floor with APT like me, what is the most efficient way to progress? Standing pancake or sit on an elevated surface?

During the middle split series, I do all the stretches until the butterfly stretch (about half of the series) and then I can't do the whole part where we have to be in a pancake and do good mornings, pulses, walks etc.. because I can't sit in a straddle without a rounded back and PPT. So instead I just do a standing pancake stretch or pancake on the wall. 

Should I do the pancake exercises (pulses, walks etc) standing? Or sitting on a box? A block isn't high enough for me. 

Thanks, 

Tom.

1576201515_StandingPancake.thumb.png.5890c90de19a29e6b3783d8a56779b1b.png

Alessandro Mainente

HI Tom, fo your case the best solution is sitting on an elevated surface. this is necessary because while you are standing the natural tendency of the body is NOT falling forward. this leads to the muscles that extend the hips to contract and this prevents the forward bending. on the other side if you are supported this does not happen.

Tom Bussien

Okay I understand! Thanks a lot for the advice. 

Tom Bussien

So this is close to the lowest I can sit while maintaining APT, maybe a bit lower. 

- Is it alright to do a bit of stretching with the weighted bar on my back like this? Or should I weigh the stretch another way? Because I can't stretch really deep without weight.

- Should I do all the pancake work during the MS series (pulses, walks, good mornings etc) sitting like this?

 1871414006_ElevatedPancake3.thumb.png.ce854db73672c01229a899e5ae062959.png317065748_ElevatedPancake2.thumb.png.1bf47e648cc1258833e2d7693b941a2b.png

Alessandro Mainente

The weighted stretch requires that the muscles are strong in the deepest position, BUT looking at your situation you are too tight to experiment progress by this approach. follow strictly the program and avoid unnecessary solution for now.

Tom Bussien

Understood, I will do that, thanks Alessandro.