This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pike stretch question

Started by Daniel Luketic, November 16, 2018 · 3 Replies · 130 Views

Daniel Luketic

Yo guys.. when I'm in the pike stretch during the front stretch series I notice that both my legs want to externally rotate outwards, so I'm not too sure wether this is normal and wether or not I should be consciously externally rotating them whilst also locking the knees. I know that the knees should be locked and think that the legs should also be externally rotated however I wanted to check with people on this forum to see what the qualified trainers think..... If it is an external rotation issue then is there something that I could do on the side to improve?

Cheers,

 

Daniel.

Alessandro Mainente

Hy Daniel pretty common to people who have tight short head bicep femoris, simply use one hand to hold the shinbone in place through the feet positioning , like if you have to internally rotate the leg. it can have some role in the shinbone external rotation.

Daniel Luketic

Thanks! I'll give it a go as well as releasing the short head of the biceps femoris. Do you think that there could also be an an antagonist muscle/muscles that could be weak and might need strengthening? Perhaps one or more of the internal rotators of the leg/hip? 

Alessandro Mainente

there are many factors, usually, the outer rotation is a tightness in the short head of hamstring, a loos of internal rotation due to weak adductors , anterior capsule restriction and maybe tight external rotators. many causes.