This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Front Split Stretch - Impossible Seiza

Started by Ola Tandstad, November 14, 2018 · 1 Replies · 151 Views

Ola Tandstad

Hi guys,

Working through the front split routine, been at it more or less consistently for about 4 months now - but I still find it almost impossible to sit in any kind of seiza for more than 10-20 seconds after the calf raises. I'm 29 and do a lot of weightlifting if it's relevant, I'm in pretty good shape apart from having terrible mobility.
My calfs get so 'pumped' from the raises that it's just utter agony to be in the seiza positions. I have been able to mitigate it a little bit by doing fewer calf raises and laying on my back elevating my legs for 30-60 secs before going into the seiza. I can also scale back the intensity by not putting my weight so far back over my heels in the seiza, but then I pretty much lose all the feeling of stretch in my achilles.

Any tips here? Or just keep at it and hope it improves over time?

Thanks guys!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Ola, no problems on this, simply put the hands at the side of the middle of the shinbone and let some of your weight to be supported from your arms.