This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rest between exercises on the foundation classes

Started by Nick Goddard, November 12, 2018 · 9 Replies · 660 Views

Nick Goddard

Hey guys,

When completing the exercises should there be a rest period in between each exercise? Or should you do the exercises as the videos move from one to another?

Particuarly for the upper body session.

thanks a lot,

Nick 

 

 

Coach Sommer

Dreamer.  ;)

Follow the tempo in the video.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Federico Pregnolato

Nick,

as Coach said, just follow the tempo in the video and you will develop a great deal of conditioning as well as strength. The purpose of the first foundations is to develop the basic strength and conditioning and not resting is part of it. Your body will eventually adjust to it.

As for myself, I only rest to setup the necessary equipment (if I haven't done it previously). I try to go through them as quick and without rest as possible. I have seen the difference when I just hang around aimlessly.

Hope that helps!

Dan Schreter

@Nick Goddard, my two cents - if you're just starting out, you probably won't be able to do everything without any rest. If you have to rest at some point, prefer resting between progressions, and not between the sets within a single progression. Build up to not needing rest over time.

Brian Pfeister

What about rest times on the courses that don't have a follow along....like Handstand? The diff wrist walks all have sets x reps but how long in between. Same with the wall HS, for example 4x24s....I assume you don't come down at 24 and immediately kick back up right?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Take short rest for now, 30/45''. on the other side when you begin a new PE with a good technical component take the time you need. then when a solid technique is established you can use the foundation's idea....IM as a rest.

Jeremy Hay
On 5/9/2019 at 5:24 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Take short rest for now, 30/45''. on the other side when you begin a new PE with a good technical component take the time you need. then when a solid technique is established you can use the foundation's idea....IM as a rest.

Have I misunderstood how to progress? I, often would take rests as long as I needed to complete the next set successfully (of any given foundation exercise), but in your expertise, should I only progress once I can do all sets with only the IM as rest, thus, building endurance along with the raw strength?

Federico Pregnolato
3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hay said:

Have I misunderstood how to progress? I, often would take rests as long as I needed to complete the next set successfully (of any given foundation exercise), but in your expertise, should I only progress once I can do all sets with only the IM as rest, thus, building endurance along with the raw strength?

Correct

Jeremy Hay
3 hours ago, Federico Pregnolato said:

Correct

Wow. I must say, this is humbling....For example, I can perform all the required sets (in excellent form) for the Rope Climb, but I take ample rest. So, I have the strength, but not the endurance to do them all back to back. I guess, I should start all the way back at the beginning. May I humbly ask why it is so important to be able to do all the sets back to back with no rest?

Federico Pregnolato
6 minutes ago, Jeremy Hay said:

Wow. I must say, this is humbling....For example, I can perform all the required sets (in excellent form) for the Rope Climb, but I take ample rest. So, I have the strength, but not the endurance to do them all back to back. I guess, I should start all the way back at the beginning. May I humbly ask why it is so important to be able to do all the sets back to back with no rest?

It is very a humbling process to get through. Especially for people coming from other sports and they are “strong”. Strength and endurance, along with mobility and flexibility, are the primary focus of building a strong Foundation. My suggestion would be to go ahead and practice the mastery step without any rest between exercises. If you pass it, go ahead, if not, start back and build it up. It will pay big dividends in the end.

As for a deeper mechanical or physiological explanation, I will leave it at Alessandro, or Coach Sommer or other Coaches as I don’t feel qualified to answer that. However, from an empirical point of view, it makes you feel unstoppable and much more ready to move to the next progression. The body adapts to the stimulus and you will be able to perform with less rest periods.

Hope that helps Jeremy!