This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Natural leg extension - how to improve?

Started by Giulio Pizzini, November 7, 2018 · 6 Replies · 142 Views

Giulio Pizzini

I've been stuck for months on the SLS PE8 iM, natural leg extension.

I was able to improve rapidly until reaching about 45o but now I can't seem to make progress anymore.

I'm doing the FSSSE20 (bent lunge stretch) daily and add a 10rep series of natural leg extension to my warm-up, so I'm doing them 4-5 times/week.

Anything else I could do to accelerate progress? It's pretty frustrating!

Here's a video of me doing them:

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Giulio, the leg extension is a single joint exercise and it is quite normal to progress compared to a multi joints exercise like the single leg squat. how many times are you doing the NLE?

Giulio Pizzini

Hi Alessandro,

i’m doing the full SLS workout once a week but I add one serie of 10 reps of NLE to my warm-up another 3-4 days per week.

 

Giulio Pizzini

I was wondering whether it is a question of strength or mobility and tried to do them assisted which was easy so I guess it is just a matter of strength?

I thought it was a mobility issue so I was trying to do them as often as possible, if it is lack of strength then I suppose twice a week would be better?

Nick Murray

Perhaps go back to twice a week, and when you perform this element, go back to 45 degrees and stay there for 10 seconds so it's isometric. As isometric exercises still build strength in a +/- 20 degree range from the held position, you can gradually build up to a 30 second hold, then after a month or two try going backwards a bit more.

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Giulio Pizzini said:

I was wondering whether it is a question of strength or mobility and tried to do them assisted which was easy so I guess it is just a matter of strength?

I thought it was a mobility issue so I was trying to do them as often as possible, if it is lack of strength then I suppose twice a week would be better?

it is only a matter of strength.

Giulio Pizzini

I like the idea of isometrics, will try that