This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hamstring Chronically Sore

Started by Christopher Haddock, November 7, 2018 · 8 Replies · 188 Views

Christopher Haddock

I faithfully do the Foundations Program, the Stretch Series, Handstands, and periodically do the new programming which comes with GNB unlimited.  I don't feel like I am overdoing it and my body generally feels really good....with one exception.  My hamstrings are chronically sore.  Not painful but pretty sore.  I've tried taking a couple of days off and although it helps during the times when I am not exercising once I try to stretch or do hamstring-related mobility they feel really sore. It isn't impacting my performance or ROM luckily. Anyone else experience this or have tips for reducing soreness other than the traditional methods (e.g. soaking in hot bath)?

Peter Ols

I was sore the first 6 months after front splits but now I barely get any DOMS except for after the jefferson curls mobility that goes with one of my foundation core exercises.

For me one of the factors that made a lot of progress was always be able to control the movement. Always be able to contract the stretched muscle and be able to breath normal. After incorporating this my hamstring flexibility has increased at a steady pace and they feel bulletproof.

Before starting GB I had problems with my hamstrings from old injuries but they have vanished.

Christopher Haddock

Thanks Peter.  I've been doing GNB including the stretch series for > 2 years.  I will incorporate your advice on contracting the stretched muscle during the stretch.  I usually have it relaxed. Sounds promising! Keith

Leigh Kettle

Hi Christopher 

this is interesting 

for some time now I’ve felt very tight behind my left knee . 

Even though I’ve made decent progress in my pike fold sometimes the sensation is such that I feel I’m being limited which is strange to me as in like I say my progress has been good 

this last week I’ve had complete  7 day break from all training yet first day back yesterday the soreness was felt as Soon as i began my stretching - clearly resting makes no difference as you’ve experienced 

As Peter suggested , me being really mindful of the stretch and what I am stretching does help but I’d be interested to hear why I never seem to eradicate this soreness . 

I’ve often thought maybe I’ve pulled  something but there is never any pain that actually stops me stretching and generally daily activities there aren’t any “pulled muscle” symptoms  - beats me 

Alessandro Mainente

Chronical soreness is not a good sign. Personally, I've found that improving the basic strength of the affected body part is the only solution.

Leigh Kettle

Do you have any exercises you recommend for this or will foundation take care of strengthening this area 

it seems to be lower hamstring inserting down into the knee that I experience the issue 

Alessandro Mainente

THe foundations work is enough for the hamstring, i suggest to hold the side to side squat adding some weight to strengthening gracilis.

Paul Bassett
On 11/27/2018 at 6:06 PM, Leigh Kettle said:

Hi Christopher 

this is interesting 

for some time now I’ve felt very tight behind my left knee . 

Even though I’ve made decent progress in my pike fold sometimes the sensation is such that I feel I’m being limited which is strange to me as in like I say my progress has been good 

this last week I’ve had complete  7 day break from all training yet first day back yesterday the soreness was felt as Soon as i began my stretching - clearly resting makes no difference as you’ve experienced 

As Peter suggested , me being really mindful of the stretch and what I am stretching does help but I’d be interested to hear why I never seem to eradicate this soreness . 

I’ve often thought maybe I’ve pulled  something but there is never any pain that actually stops me stretching and generally daily activities there aren’t any “pulled muscle” symptoms  - beats me 

Hey Leigh,

i was getting chronically sore hamstrings, so have basically cut volume on stretching by 50%.  basically picking some key stretches from the program.  Making better progress now without any soreness.  

I've also changed my meal frequency and recover faster because of it.

Alessandro Mainente

Remember that chronic local muscles soreness is an index of low recovery rate, this means that maybe the frequency is too high for the stimuli. this is intrinsically related to muscles strength. stronger muscles can hold a higher frequency and higher intensity.