This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Miserable w/ Vertigo.....

Started by Phil Goldstine, November 5, 2018 · 4 Replies · 84 Views

Phil Goldstine

Hello all,

I have been training in GST for a few months now and LOVE IT!  My hips are opening up again, my shoulder mobility is better than ever, and I am developing strength in ways that CrossFit and the weight room never produced.  I am an unlimited member, and I am following Coach Summer's recommended weekly training regimen.  I think it works perfectly for me as a beginner......except.....Movement.  I have no issues with the complexity of movement.  I have the strength, balance, and mobility to make it work.  My problem is vertigo/motion sickness.  After doing 20 forward rolls, I can't tell you how bad I feel.  It sucks.  If it weren't for the feeling of nausea, I would love the Movement workouts just as much as all the others.  However, I find it debilitating and miserable.  I would like to continue, but I need a fix, and fast.  If not, I have to let the whole Movement development go and just continue working on all the other elements of GST.  I even tried taking Dramamine before me workout this evening - still no improvement.  Other than the forward rolls and backward rolls to front support, I am not having issues.  Even the headstand to forward roll isn't bad (I believe because it is a more controlled and abbreviated movement).  Anyone have definitive advice on how to fix this right now?  Thank you in advance.

 

Phil

Alessandro Mainente

HI Phil probably you have to take it much more slowly, CNS adapts extremely slowly to a strange situation and new habits, maybe you have run too fast into the progress. you need to work only where you are in the comfort zone for these movements.

Phil Goldstine

OK, I will do less repetitions. I’ll still do the movements, just many less.  As soon as I begin to feel the nausea I will stop. Hopefully, my tolerance will progress over time.

 

Thank you,

Phil

Coach Sommer

Hi Phil,

Alex is correct.  Simply a matter of conditioning the inner ear.  

Do not however train until you begin to feel nauseaous, be sure to stop prior to that point.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Phil Goldstine

Thanks, Coach.  I will back off and approach the tumbling/movement with more moderation. 

I love what you have created here - my congratulations on your success.  I've been athletic and physical my entire life, but I never experienced gymnastics.  Maintaining my (adequate) strength, but returning to my (former) flexibility and mobility is liberating.  It feels great to be reducing pain and stiffness, while also returning to a full range of motion.  In two months time, my low back pain and sciatica are all but gone, while all my joints are 'opening' up, and my range of motion is increasing.  Thank you!

 

Phil