I wasn't sure where to put this post, so apologies if this isn't the right forum.
My father-in-law has been diagnosed with spinal stenosis (I think L4 or L5 region). He is in serious pain and cannot walk upright or sleep in a bed. He had a steroid injection but it did not help. His doctor is now recommending lumbar laminectomy, and my father-in-law wants to do this ASAP.
My gut tells me that his decision is a mistake, and that he should continue pursuing physical therapy. He was doing PT, but some exercise that he was doing actually triggered more pain and disability, and now he distrusts PT.
My father-in-law is a reasonable, rational man. I was hoping that someone here in the forums with some expertise could provide a brief, science-based, and logical argument against surgery -- if, in fact, the experts here on the forum believe that surgery should be avoided. If surgery is his best option, then OK.
Thanks for your consideration and any help or guidance you can give me,
Craig