This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/SE1 Mobility - bent arm half straddle planche hold - FRUSTRATED

Started by Michael Stanwyck, October 22, 2018 · 4 Replies · 332 Views

Michael Stanwyck

I’m totally down with the slow progress of this program. But I’m able to do the 5x30s frog stand and have been for a long time.

however, I am NOWHERE CLOSE to the bent arm half straddle plabche hold. I can’t reckon how this is considered mobility. It is SO much harder than the exercise!

is anyone else as frustrated as I am?

I am doing this elevated on paralettes with bent legs to even be able to come close to performing the movement. I can do it for 10 seconds but was told I needed to be able to do it for 20.

Any strategies?

Alessandro Mainente

Hi MIchael, I completely understand you, usually if you do not have progressed enough on HBP maybe is hard to move forward. but strategies are always possible. instead on doing directly the straddle bent arm planche move to the bent arm tuck planche hold up to 20'', then move to adv tuck planche hold up to 20'', then from here extend one leg at time, then 2 legs, then try the half straddle bent arm hold....and then the straddle.

Nick Murray

Do not let your elbows bend past 90 degrees - this is what has helped me the most.

The top picture (my line drawings are not as good as Alessandro's!) shows an unstable position, with elbows bent more than 90 degrees. The triceps are in a lengthened position and as such have little capacity to contract to help you lift your torso if you unbalance forward.

The bottom picture - for me - is better - since the elbows are close to 90 degrees. It's easier to sense unbalance and to make small corrections, which is important in the next two progressions (mobility for SPL/SE2 and /SE3).

I usually train these (up to 3 x 30 seconds for SPL/SE3, just working on endurance now) before anything else. Doing the rope climb progressions helps to unload the wrists afterwards, as it's tension rather than compression.

One of Alessandro's other posts on this was to enter the position from the ground, rather than from a crouch - that might help as well.

I agree it's frustrating!

spl-im.png

Michael Stanwyck

Thanks for the help. I want to make sure I understand the differences.

Bent arm tuck planche hold - arms bent at 90 degrees, knees tucked to chest

Advanced tuck planche hold - is this with straight arms? What is the advanced version?

Extend one leg and then two - feet together?

Bent arm half straddle hold - this is what is asked for in this mobility, correct?

Straddle - legs straight and apart? And this is beyond what I need to master to pass this, right?

Alessandro Mainente
On 11/7/2018 at 11:21 PM, Michael Stanwyck said:

Thanks for the help. I want to make sure I understand the differences.

Bent arm tuck planche hold - arms bent at 90 degrees, knees tucked to chest

Advanced tuck planche hold - is this with straight arms? What is the advanced version?

Extend one leg and then two - feet together?

Bent arm half straddle hold - this is what is asked for in this mobility, correct?

Straddle - legs straight and apart? And this is beyond what I need to master to pass this, right?

hi Michael, sorry for the late, i apologize. well, we are always talking about bent arm variation/progression. in the extension, i mean in the straddle position and not feet together.