This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

dragging pain in right thigh when stretched

Started by Ferdinand Berr, October 17, 2018 · 5 Replies · 92 Views

Ferdinand Berr

Hi!

I've just re-started GST, but for quite some time I've felt a light dragging or stinging pain in my right inner thigh when stretched. It's no severe pain, but it doesn't feel right and makes me uncomfortable stretching. After I recognized it for the first time there have been some significant times of break, so that recovery should have been possible if it was a minor strain or something.

I don't feel this pain during butterfly stretch for example, but I feel it when being in straddle position or for example during the Stiff Leg Windmill in my Core Workout. It's only the right thigh. I try foam rolling before my workouts and some times I think it decreases this sensation a little. Obviously I don't go hard on it when I feel this sensation.

I'll go to the orthopedist and will let him have a look at it, but can you give me an idea of what exact muscle or ligament that should be and what might be the problem?

 

Thanks;)

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Ferdinand, i'm sorry to hear that. Actually and sincerely, you cannot find the answer here. pain in the groin can be:

-a referred problem of pubalgia.

-one of the 3 big adductors that work on one joint;

-gracilis that is an adductor working on 2 joints;

-anterior capsule tightness;

-hips flexor and its bursa.

as you can see one symptom, different possibilities. the only way to recognize the problem is the specialist analysis.

Ferdinand Berr

Okay thanks, will do so pretty soon!

Ferdinand Berr

Okay, so I'm back with an update after seeing my orthopedist. Actually there are several orthopedic issues I'm dealing with at the moment, and I tried to check all of them with my doctor.

1. groin pain

My orthopedist called it a dystonia of the long adductor (right side). He basically said there's no major injury and I should continue to carefully strengthen/stretch the adductor, just going to the point before it begins to be uncomfortable.

2.  left hip pain

During certain exercises, for example the Diamond Frog Stretch or the Kneeling Circle (SLS PE3>iM) I feel a painful sensation in my left hip, which seemed to be coming from the joint to me. My orthopedist didn't look at it with ultrasound or anything, but he suggested it's also a muscular problem around the outside of the hip (if I understood correctly).

3. shoulder pain

I started having this problem about 2 years ago, when I tried out bouldering/climbing the first time. I went to the climbing gym too frequently for a beginner and after some weeks I started feeling a dragging pain in the biceps. I even felt it when holding my arms up playing basketball for example, so it seemed to be provoked by arm positions above head level. I gave it a good amount of rest for a few times but it came back every time when doing something like climbing or pull-ups - that's why I'm going extremely slow with pulling work at the moment; no climbing and just my GST training.

My orthopedist diagnosed it as tendinopathy of the biceps tendon back then. This time he checked for the reason and told my it might by a weakness/dystonia of the serratus anterior. My notes say "subacromial compression phenomenon left shoulder".

4. shin splints on both sides

Also about 2 years ago I've had shin splints for the first time in my life. This problem is actually the most severe and chronic one for me. My main sports is and has been basketball and for the last 2 years I couldn't really engage in it, because even after 3-4 months of rest it just took a few sessions of low level basketball training for the shin splints to return. I've tried physiotherapy, barefoot shoes to strengthen my feet, progressively increasing loads starting from light jogging for just one km and so on, but nothing really helped. 

My orthopedist cannot really help me with that, I have defective foot positions on both sides, I believe the english translation would be flatfeet or pes valgus. I also have bow knees, if that helps.

 

Apart from that stuff my orthopedist noted "tensor fasicae latae" and "traktus iliotibialis left side", I believe that had to do with some inflammation/pain I have on the outside of my right knee when playing basketball. He checked my vertebrae and found some of them (lumbar spine) to be "blocked", which he believed to be (part of) the reason for the groin/hip problems I have. Another thing to to is check for allergy or food intolerance as a reason for the chronic inflammation, but I've already done that.

 

I really want to tackle all those problems. The shin splints basically haven't allowed me to consistently do any running or jumping for more than two years now, and the other problems have hindered consistent training for me.

I know that's a crazy long post but I'd be extremely thankful for any ideas or advice. For example: Is the serratus anterior getting sufficiently prepared by my F1 workouts, or should I do some additional exercise? Or about the adductor pain when stretching - it feels a little weird to me to continue stretching with that uncomfortable sensation.

 

Thank you a lot for any advice!

Alessandro Mainente

I think that the situation is much more complex than expected, you should consider running a recovery process with a PT.

Ferdinand Berr
52 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

I think that the situation is much more complex than expected, you should consider running a recovery process with a PT.

I'm doing so and will soon start PT. I'll keep on doing my F1, H1 and Stretch as far as possible without problems and hope that it will slowly help..

It's just hard to get detailed information on what to do and what exactly the problems are. I've already done PT for months last year and it didn't really change a lot. 

At the moment I can do the Front Split and Thoracic Bridge Stretch Series without pain. For the Middle Split Series I experience the adductor problem mentioned, but my orthopedist advised me to carefully continue working on the adductor. F1 also goes without pain at the moment, except for two iMs, in which I experience said adductor problem and the hip problem respectively. H1 is okay too.