GST transfer to GST

Started by Joaquin Malagon, October 16, 2018 · 10 Replies · 3,187 Views

Joaquin Malagon

Hello, I know that GST athletes who have tried OL have had fairly decent results. I have recently started Olympic lifting and although all movements from GST transfer over which movements transfer most to the sport?  

Thomas Hanssen

Hey Joaquin. I used to do some OL years back, and from time to time still do some cleans and jerks just for fun.

Think its difficult to say which transfer the most, it depends a bit on your structure and starting point.

But good mobility in shoulders, hip and ankles are crucial to squatting deep with weight overhead. Just take a look at the great Dmitry Klokov,  strong flexible fellow!

 

4bc81d8e235903b8a9ace8630241d8b5.jpg.25a29649b5c177e9ec3006f15d2684c2.jpg

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Joaquin Malagon said:

Hello, I know that GST athletes who have tried OL have had fairly decent results. I have recently started Olympic lifting and although all movements from GST transfer over which movements transfer most to the sport?  

All type of overhead press is useful for all the type of power lifts (like power clean).

hips mobility and spine extension transfers on all the type of overhead squat movement.

all the movement of GST where you train hips flexor can potentially increase the speed of how you move fast under the bar after the hips drive.

I can possibly stay here talking for an hour about the benefits.

Joaquin Malagon

I appreciate the responses so far, I just realized that my title doesn't make any sense. Can I edit this? 

Is there anything from GST that prepares for the type of compression forces the spine experiences during squats? 

Alessandro Mainente

Every exercise that improves the strength of the spine is like JC. 

Leonhard Krahé

Joaquin,
I started Olympic lifting last year and I find that GST, even though my progress in numbers has been very, very slow, pays huge dividends (my numbers in lifting are nothing to write home about either but I know I won't be a competitive lifter anyway, so I take it slow).

Since you need very good spinal mobility, especially thoracic extension, as well as good shoulder mobility,  I find that the Thoracic Bridge series is a very good compliment. Also, Jefferson curls as well as spinal extension work would come to mind

Joaquin Malagon

@Alessandro Mainente Do curling arch-ups also provide similar benefits as the JC curls for the spine?

 

Alessandro Mainente

They work the spine in an isometric position. so it is not the same thing.

Joaquin Malagon

This is true for regular arch-ups, I'm referring to curling arch-ups where you extend the spine vertebrae by vertebrae.

@Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

They are pretty similar to JC, if you can show a very good range of motion they are a good solution. I forgot the "curling" sorry.

Joaquin Malagon

Thanks! @Alessandro Mainente