This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to scale training when tired.

Started by Alessandro Pantanella, October 14, 2018 · 5 Replies · 182 Views

Alessandro Pantanella

Hey guys, 

So being a father and working long hours I don't always have the same amount of strength available when training. 

Especially when I don't get enough sleep I feel less strong. 

I still want to go to the gym and train but I'm wondering what's the best approach to take on these days where I'm let's say 70% there. 

I usually take few reps off the sets to make it shorter or if I'm really tired I just do a deload week. 

I've also tried keeping same reps but adding some rest in between sets. This seems to work well with me. 

I'm mostly doing early F1 exercises. 

Any thoughts? 

Thanks, 

Alessandro 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Alessandro, the best solution is reducing the number of seconds/reps and increase the set. in this way you can still train the movement pattern while reducing the stress on the SNC.

Alessandro Pantanella
3 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Alessandro, the best solution is reducing the number of seconds/reps and increase the set. in this way you can still train the movement pattern while reducing the stress on the SNC.

Thanks for the quick reply Alessandro. 

So, to be clear, if in an exercise I'm usually doing 5x12 (tot 60 Reps) I'd instead do 6x10 or 7x9 keeping same amount of tot reps? 

Alessandro Mainente

exactly. the necessity of holding the total number or reps/sets in necessary to avoid undertraining of the motor pattern.

Alessandro Pantanella

Great advice as usual. 

Thanks! 

Alessandro Mainente

You're welcome.