Okay, first a bit of background info: I trained capoeira pretty seriously for about seven years. Due to recurring injuries and some other things, I more or less quit training about seven months ago. I decided I wanted to fully recover from my injuries, increase my strength and flexibility, eat healthier, learn more about training and conditioning etcetera - before going back to capoeira. It's a great sport/art but unfortunately most teachers know sh*t about physical preparation and I simply refuse to get injured any longer because of that.
So, I came across Ido's website and loved his approach. I followed his workouts and also came to know the work of Coach Sommer, Dr. Loren 'paleo' Cordain and more. Once I found Gymnastic Bodies I started to work on the bodyweight progressions and I love them!
I noticed, however, that I found it hard to train consistently (both Ido's exercises and those of Coach S.) and after a bit of introspection, I concluded that this has to do with my body still not feeling optimal (knee and SI joint problems). I also discovered recently (never noticed it
) that my left hip is slightly tilted backwards and my feet are slightly everted. So there are some postural dysfunctions that I want to take care of.
After reading Slizzardman's posts, I got myself a copy of Egoscue's Health Through Motion book and I like it a lot! I'm planning to spend the next couple of months properly rehabbing and prehabbing by following Egoscue's schedules and also doing various routines described by Coach and Ido (shoulder and scapula ROM etc.).
My question (yes, there is one after all
) is: how much strength work should I incorporate in my routine during this prehab phase, where I want to focus on correcting my postural dysfunctions and hopefully recovering from the related joint problems? Will doing the GB bodyweight progressions interfere with the Egoscue work (how wise is it to do strenous work when the body is trying to realign itself)?
Thanks in advance!