This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Olympic Weightlifting + Stretch series

Started by Michael Vetter, October 8, 2018 · 6 Replies · 136 Views

Michael Vetter

Hi!

I have taken a break of GB for something like 6-9 months.

In the meantime started Olympic Weightlifting. Now want to add in GB again :-)

 

My main goal would be flexibility/mobility and joint health.

Now that GB Unlimited is out I'm thinking about giving this a try and pick some custom routines from there that fit my weight lifting schedule. But since I own the Front and Middle Split and Thoracic Bridge Series already I'm also thinking about first adding those three into my week.

 

Currently my training schedule is: Olympic Weightlifting 3x (Mo, Wed, Fri) per week. I don't do much mobility or anything else for that matter. On which days would you add the Front/Middle/Thoracic? Same days as training days? Even after the training?

 

I seem to remember that static stretching after weight training might lead to not be effective?

 

Curious about your thoughts and ideas!

Aaron Hughson

I think Coach would readily recommend adding in these series after training as that is best time to do it. I hope you have take to integrating a proper warm-up routine as well. Are you going with progressive overload or are you staying steady, and mastering the basics?

Michael Vetter
4 minutes ago, Aaron Hughson said:

Are you going with progressive overload or are you staying steady, and mastering the basics? 

So far I'm mostly learning proper technique :)

And simple hypertrophie phases. Actually I just follow what the club coach tells me to do on that day.

Alessandro Mainente

Personally, i would consider adding the stretch series depending on your training.

if you had a strong session with deadlift then ad the thoracic bridge.

if you had a strong session with squat then add the middle split.

the front split is up on you.

Michael Vetter

@Alessandro Mainenteso you would do it right after the Olympic Weightlifting training or on the in-between days? Is there not something like stretching after strength is not good? Can you clarify this "myth" for me?

Coach Sommer
3 hours ago, Michael Vetter said:

@Alessandro Mainenteso you would do it right after the Olympic Weightlifting training or on the in-between days? Is there not something like stretching after strength is not good? Can you clarify this "myth" for me?

Hi Michael,

When you stretch is not nearly as important as consistently stretching.  If you are more consistent stretching after your workout, then do that.  If you find that you are more consistent scheduling stretching on an off day; then do that.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Michael Vetter said:

@Alessandro Mainenteso you would do it right after the Olympic Weightlifting training or on the in-between days? Is there not something like stretching after strength is not good? Can you clarify this "myth" for me?

follow Coach's recommendation. if you have a good basis from WL and GB on the lower limbs you should not have problems.