This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Crooked toes and curled seizas

Started by Isak Tougaard, October 7, 2018 · 2 Replies · 68 Views

Isak Tougaard

Everytime I try to do curled seizas, I feel a sharp pain in the joint of my big toes. I can't go low enough to feel any muscles stretching at all.

I suppose this is because I have somewhat crooked big toes, they look like a V instead of being parallel.

Any tips on how I  can scale or modify this exercise? Have been trying with one foot, but it doesn't seem to work very well.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Isak, yes your toe can be a problem. since the seiza is proposed in order to stretch muscles that provide the ankle flexion, toe muscles still do that. so there is no real solution. remember that in case of heavy toe deviation from parallel you can consider the surgery.

Antonio Alías Montoya
19 hours ago, Isak Tougaard said:

Everytime I try to do curled seizas, I feel a sharp pain in the joint of my big toes. I can't go low enough to feel any muscles stretching at all.

I suppose this is because I have somewhat crooked big toes, they look like a V instead of being parallel.

Any tips on how I  can scale or modify this exercise? Have been trying with one foot, but it doesn't seem to work very well.

Yes, I have a recommendation. To perform a curled seiza and feel a strecht one should already be very very flexible, so I m stretching my toes and foot plant standing and one leg at a time, just bend your knee and push forward. Adjust your movement until you feel a correct strecht (no pain). I hope it helps. 

By the way my big toes are not parallel either and i think that could be a problem only if they were very crocked.