This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretch series and hip capsule restrictions

Started by Thomas Nordman, October 5, 2018 · 7 Replies · 200 Views

Thomas Nordman

Hi,

I've been doing the MS stretch series for a while and it feels pretty good in general. However I think the limiting factor for me right now is hip capsule restriction rather than tightness in the adductors (note: this is my own conclusion, I will get it checked by a PT soon). Does the stretches take care of capsule restriction too or are there better ways to fix that? Example; In the following stretches I feel a sensation in the glute/hip joint area rather than a stretch in the adductors:

- Regular frog, Diamond frog, Rocking frog

While these stretches are clearly stretching adductors and hamstring:

- Pancake variations, Wall Middle Split, etc

 

Put it differently; should I continue doing the frog stretches and will that help me or is it waste of time?

Alessandro Mainente

the ability to improve in the adductor poses depends a lot on the posterior capsule something like you can do with ......................................piriformis variation of MS series...it takes....months...for me it took years. but think that you held the restriction for years.

Thomas Nordman

Ok @Alessandro Mainente, that is good to know. I will put some extra focus on the piriformis stretches and make them part of the daily routine. 

As long as I feel it most in the glute/hip joint area, would you say that the frog stretches still are beneficial? Should I keep doing them or replace them?

 

Alessandro Mainente

BUtterfly stretch and piriformis will increase the availability of the range of motion for frog variations etc.

Peter Ols

I have a restriction that limit my ability to tilt the pelvis forward in the butterfly stretch. it feels like the gluteus medium or/and TFL are the tight restrictions. But it might as well be capsule restriction....

I guess the same exercises helos me but I have problems getting leverage to tilt forward. If I put my feet some distance from the groin it´s easier to go forward. Should I start with the feet forward until I can tilt before getting them closer ?

Alessandro Mainente

When gluteus become restricted than the upper leg does not move in a certain range of motion. than the capsule becomes restricted and then the glutes etc.

Isak Tougaard

@Peter Ols Maybe you could get more bang for you butterfly if you try a variation like wide butterfly (demonstrated in hip restore), wall butterfly (as seen in the new lower body flexibility #1 at 26:16) or a seated wall butterfly (back against the wall).

I only recently began seeing progress for butterfly, for me the seated wall butterfly did the trick. But since adopting that, it's been progressing so much easier.

Peter Ols

Thanks Isak for your advice!

I will try it out :-)