This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE11 Russian dips form check

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, September 30, 2018 · 13 Replies · 255 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello GB community!

Here's a video of my last set of Russina dips:

How about overall form? Any judge is welcome!

Thank you all!

Alessandro

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Alessandro, you are showing the common mistake where your shoulders move too backward in the bottom part and also they are dropping down too much.

in the bottom position:

-side view: shoulders in line with elbows

-front view: 1) shoulders higher than elbows 2)pbar in between shoulders and elbows.

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Great tips Ale! I think I got what you mean! I will work on the points you mentioned! Thank you very much!! 

Christopher Denzer

Hi forum:

Can I get a form check on these Russian Dips until the Video Submission app is ready? I read Alex's critique above about dropping the shoulders and I suppose I am guilty of that here. In these videos, per Alan B's advice, I am working on slowly dropping back onto my forearms and then back instead of just flopping. I am also trying to slow down the transition from the "layback" to getting on back on top of my hands. If I am dropping my shoulders too much, what should I work on, besides obviously trying not to do that? Are there any supplementary exercises that will strengthen my transition there? When I try to do that very slowly, I find it very hard to transition.

  1. https://youtu.be/DpMoOf5aZXs
  2. https://youtu.be/O9MX6DSJ7ls
  3. https://youtu.be/kay4GrWgDa0
Nick Murray

In video 3 it looks like you're letting your shoulders come down almost to the level of the plyo boxes, then they rise a little as you lean back. Keep your armpits above the bar!

I think the movement is also a little slow, with too much torso backwards lean (there is almost no torso backwards lean in the course video) though without a side view it's hard to see.

It might be a good idea to try a progression::

  • Start in the top position, lower until inside upper forearms are on the bar (plyo boxes make this hard, as you need to let your elbows dip a little outside and below the bar), then contact the floor with your feet, so you can concentrate on getting the arm movement correct. Repeat until the movement is perfect.
  • As above, but slow the movement at the transition: lower, slow, upper arm contact........then feet.
  • See if you can start in the bottom position, then press upwards (you have to quickly lean forward and press up simultaneously). This was the hardest part of this element for me. Even singles are ok.
  • Build up to multiple repeats.

These DO take a while to master!

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Christopher, the main problem here is that these are not Russian dips. the main goal of Russian dips is having the elbows lower than the shoulder in the bottom on the movement (from a front view this is clear) and the shoulders aligned with the elbows from a side view. Yours is a matter of execution FIRST.

Christopher Denzer

HI Alex:

I think I understand. When you say the elbows should be below the shoulders, you're talking during the transition, like in picture 2 of the GB athlete? In picture 4, my elbows are clearly higher than my shoulders. Is it that point?

I do not have access to pbars but I will see what I can try to put together. Thank you.

 

 

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 8.56.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 8.58.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 8.57.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 8.58.01 AM.png

Alessandro Mainente

Tyes this is the problem, you are supporting on the forearms and not on the upper arm. do you have a power rack?

Christopher Denzer

HI Alex:

No, unfortunately I do not have regular access to a power rack. I'm assuming you were going to recommend using two barbells? I only have access to a climbing gym and their squat racks do not have double supports for me to place two barbells. Its also below freezing here, so playground workouts are out. I'm open to trying anything!

Christopher Denzer

Hi Alex:

thanks for responding and for the ideas. Unfortunately, my gym has no dip station, either. All I’ve got are plug boxes and small paralettes. If there are no other options, I guess i’ll just postpone this element.  

Dmitry Tikhovich

Friends,

To the topic of postponing the element, I've heard in one of coach Sommer interviews that postponing is not welcome and so I'm trying to overcome plateau is some of my progressions. Russian Dips is one of them, I can't perform even a single rep. While I don't have access to real parallel bars I'm owning a pair of high parallettes like this ones attached. Yes, they do not stable enough and perhaps it's the reason of not trying harder with the movement. So I have two questions:

  1. Can I train myself for the Russian Dip movement with any other exercise?
  2. And if no, is it possible to substitute this element without missing propose of entire progression?

Thanks for your advices!

 

414amnOjjWL._SX425_.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Dmitry, unfortunately, i do not know a substitution of this exercise. it is a milestone for preparing the tricep for future work on vertical pressing movement.