This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Inverted Pike Hang - Damaged Spine

Started by Sebastian Garza T, September 27, 2018 · 3 Replies · 108 Views

Sebastian Garza T

Hello, I have been doing Foundation one, Strech series, and Handstands 1 & 2 for a couple of months now, and I have been very happy with my progress until yesterday. 

While doing the pike hang I suddenly felt like clay between my discs elongated. I had to release immediatley. It’s something I had not felt before. Had some pain, but it started to kick in once I cooled off.  

I had pain killers and my therapist believes I strained my ligaments and tendons between my T10 and T11. Could be my disc. 

Any suggestions? I am pain if I bend, but not if I am standing pretty straight.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to go forward

Alessandro Mainente

HI Sebastian , unfortunately, the situation should be evaluated with an instrumental diagnosis. nobody here can give you a suggestion because it application can be potentially worst than now.

Nick Murray

+1 for seeing a physical therapist, preferably someone who knows about circus/gymnastics performers.

As you say, it could be a disk, or a zygapophyseal joint/facet joint, or a ligament sprain, or a muscular strain.

When you bend and get pain, are you bending forwards/backwards/sideways?

How long have you been practising the pike hang?

How many reps had you done when you feel the initial "clay" feeling?

A competent therapist will test all of this.

 

Sebastian Garza T

Thanks Nick! I was in my 4th 30 second set. I’ve been practicing it for 2 weeks. I hurts if I bend forwards.