This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Gymnastics classes and shin splits

Started by Guido Franchetti, September 27, 2018 · 3 Replies · 88 Views

Guido Franchetti

So, besides GB I've been attending adult gymnastics (kinda, essentially just floor) lessons. This year I moved up to the "advanced" course (not that I am advanced, but they basically offer two levels, basic and everything else, and I am past basic). It is 3 times a week 1 and half hours. Around 45 minutes of I believe fairly standard gymnastics warm up and conditioning followed by about 30-40 minutes of skill work (mostly front/back flip, and handspring  or progressions leading up to that at the moment) and a little stretching.

The course is nice but it is only the second week and I have already got shin splits - it is easy to tell that the ramp up in intensity has not been progressive enough. In fact there has been no ramp up at all unless this is the starting level and they are going to ramp it up :wacko:

I have already agreed with the instructors to take it easy for a week or so and replace for now some of the rebounding work with other kinds of conditioning. But since this seems to be a common problem in the gymnastics community I am curious to know about prehab/rehab advice from knowledgeable people! Thanks :)

Possibly useful info: last year at the basic course I did not experience problems (or maybe extremely mild ones), but it was only two hours a week at a much lower intensity. Apart from that I am probably not used to jumping/rebounding/impact activities as I have never trained them.

Alessandro Mainente

The problem you are referring to is due to the low capability of the body of absorbing the bodyweight accelerated force inot the 2 legs bones. this leads to the interosseous membrane to be damaged. the low capability of absorbing should be searched in the hips alignment and hips muscles dynamic control. hips act on the knees and knees to the lower shinbone down to the ankles.

actually, for you, is a sign that the intensity is too much and that you are not ready for it.

Guido Franchetti

Grazie @Alessandro Mainente! Any particular work you'd recommend to build up to it?

Alessandro Mainente

Nothing specifically, before doing any type of tumbling or absorbing work on legs I suggest (as Coach Sommer) to complete foundations 4 for the legs...at least! Also, the hips should be balanced in terms of flexibility and strength.