Hello,
Recently I have come across a strange problem that I hope the coaches or fellow students can help with. I started trying side lever blocks a few months ago but felt a strange sensation in my forearm (Always the bottom arm and always when releasing the bar from the hold) It was sort of painful, sort of like a DOMS feeling and sort of similar to a trigger point in myofascial release.
I dialed back and went back a few steps and focused harder on wrist push ups and training thinking my wrists or forearms where not strong enough. However, I am now easily completing sets of all the different wrist push ups at mastery and I have returned to this exercise - sadly the issue persists.
It is a very specific action that causes it, releasing the block hold and always on the lower arm. The tenderness manifests in the forum muscle that i am pointing at in the attached photo. I am trying to work out if this is ordinary and perhaps just the sensation of a muscle that hasn't been worked working. It does persist for a few days or week after and I am nervous to attempt this exercise more as so much of my work is based around my forearms!
I appreciate this is a long post and slightly vague but if anybody can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Forearm sensation side lever block SL/SE1
Started by Benjamin Whyte, September 21, 2018 · 5 Replies · 78 Views
HI Benjamin it is the ulnar deviation tendon. it is pretty common where some exercises are approached early compared to the actual level of joint conditioning, I would like to ask you what is your progress on the overall progression and on handstand.
You could add some specific conditioning for this: the Reverse neutral dumbbell wrist curl (ulnar deviation).
I would also use my other hand, with the arm behind my back, to stabilise the forearm so it can't move.
Progressively increase the weight from 2-3kg. Do a lot of them, slowly.
There is a structure between the end of the arm and the hand (triangular fibrocartilage complex) that may be injured if you do this too quickly or with too much weight.
Also, the further the weight from the hand, the greater the leverage ***and the greater the possibility for rapid movement when you fatigue***
Do these slowly!
The reason for the pain on release, as far I as I've been able to find out, is something related to the mechanical properties of muscle fibres when the tension is released.
5 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:HI Benjamin it is the ulnar deviation tendon. it is pretty common where some exercises are approached early compared to the actual level of joint conditioning, I would like to ask you what is your progress on the overall progression and on handstand.
Hi Alessandro - Progress on the handstand is 10 second free standing, and sometimes longer. . So far I don't come across any wrist or forearm pain during handstand work. Overall progress is; FL PE14, SPL SE1, MN SE5, HBP PE17, RC PE20. Thanks
I feel the same spot too... on the pole when I do so-called split grip. Same stuff like the block side lever, but the wrists are turned slightly differently... I do a nice deep tissue massage afterward, put some hot-cold cream on, and I am fine the next day. Over time, as I have been getting stronger in that position, the discomfort is less, or none. Only when I overdo some new move in this split grip position.
On 9/22/2018 at 4:17 AM, Benjamin Whyte said:Hi Alessandro - Progress on the handstand is 10 second free standing, and sometimes longer. . So far I don't come across any wrist or forearm pain during handstand work. Overall progress is; FL PE14, SPL SE1, MN SE5, HBP PE17, RC PE20. Thanks
can you put a pic with the detail of your grip during the exercise?