This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Getting started

Started by Jonathan Howard, September 15, 2018 · 2 Replies · 141 Views

Jonathan Howard

Hey there,

42 years old, never done gymnastics training before and I’m within my first 4 weeks of the program. Very happy with everything. 

I have a question regarding the Movement course, though. I’m doing ok on it except for the advanced portion. It would be very helpful to have some guidance on building up to the fast cartwheels and front roll to pirouette handstand. I’m nowhere remotely close to performing those. 

Also, when the program says, for example, 3 reps of the speed cartwheels, does that mean three reps of what’s being shown in the video? (Meaning 4 fast cartwheels strung together?) or does it mean just three cartwheels? Because if it means doing what’s in the vid, I’m gonna be stuck on step 1 for months. 

In general it seems like the advanced portion of the movement course needs MUCH more in the way of explanation and scaling to get what’s being demonstrated. I’m breaking it down into 1 cartwheel and a simple forward tumble so I can figure out how to do that without smashing the back of my head on the floor. 

Overall, why do the movement and rings courses have none of the explanatory materials that foundation and stretch  have? They would be super helpful, and frankly more responsible from a service/coaching standpoint. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jon

Jonathan Howard

Hello? Anybody?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Joonathan sorry for the late, i recommend you to read this topic and especially coach's Sommer post.

if you are completely new the tumbling one course should be paired with the development of handstand and general body strength as foundations.