This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Discomfort in Glute During Standing Pike

Started by Erik Hayner, September 12, 2018 · 1 Replies · 59 Views

Erik Hayner

When I perform the standig pike, in particular at the very end of the front split program (4-5 weeks in) I get a discomfort in my right glute, which feels deeper in that area (maybe not the glute itself?), especially coming out of the position as the muscle flexes again I feel it.

I have been training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Judo for the last 9-10 years and my lower back and mid/upper traps seem to be my most consistent problem areas (also lateral gastroc in the past). I have a bit of a posterior tilt in my hip I’m trying to correct, which is likely due to my weak glutes and tight hip flexors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi ERik probably the sensation is due to the piriformis tightness. in case of pain, you need to consult a PT. the hip joint is very complex and is hard giving you a solution from a keyboard.