This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 RC PE/iM2

Started by Marko Sekulic, September 12, 2018 · 21 Replies · 197 Views

Jeffrey Bittner

Nice job, Marko! As you do your rows, try to keep your head in a neutral position. In other words, try to avoid ducking your chin to your chest as you pull. Keep up the good work!

Marko Sekulic

Okey.

Thank you Jeffrey.

Marko Sekulic

Hey @Alessandro Mainente,

Finally, mastery check for this progression...it took me a lot more than I expected when I was starting this one. I guess I was overestimated myself...

https://youtu.be/N5z2bryGcEM

https://youtu.be/szw1x5YRJd4

So, how it's look like?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Marko, personally I prefer to hold the same tempo for all the reps.

Marko Sekulic

Okey...I will correct that.

Tom Bussien

Damn very impressive Marko! This is a very hard PE, I've also been on it since October. Stamina takes time to build.

Did you find anything that helped you progress for the lasts steps (4x12, 4x15, 5x15)?

Marko Sekulic

Hey @Tom Bussien,

Thanks man! 

Yes, I struggle a lot with this progression, but not because this one is much harder then the rest of them (at the end of the day, it is only second from 20+ of them). I struggle with this one from a very simple reason...I was (still am, but a little less) weak. And I was blind enough to not see and foolish enough to not understand one word that is in front of my eyes every single day...and that is STRENGTH. (GST - gymnastic STRENGTH training)

Like Coach Sommer said many times in his podcasts/articles, STRENGTH always comes first, when you have high level of strength, strength endurance is easy. 

So I researched a little bit, how to increase strength. And everyone was saying the same thing (wich I saw milion times before, but I wasn't MINDFUL about it), and that is LOW REPS, HIGH INTENSITY.

So, finally, the answer to your question is...I used GTG for elevated ring rows. GTG - Grease the groove, method for increasing strength by Pavel Tsatsouline. 

I was doing elevated rings rows with +5kg for 6 reps per set, and now I am doing them with +7kg for 5 reps per set. Thats why I don't even feel basic bodyweight ground rows anymore.

Sorry for this bigg a$$ answer, I just had to take this out from my system. :D

Check Pavels method, apply it, and you will burst through your plateaus before you know it.

Good luck.

Tom Bussien

Thanks Marko, I like long answers haha.

Well I also researched and found different existing topics on the forum. I also found that gaining strength would automatically increase strength endurance. 

It’s nice to see you did exactly that. So for me I included weighted elevated rows after my ground rows now. It’s been a week so I can’t really tell if it helps yet but I’m sure it will.

I heard of GtG, unfortunately, I workout in a gym and I don’t have a set of rings in my room like you, so I can’t really apply that protocol.

But I think increasing my strength will probably help me get to the final steps of this progression. Otherwise I’ve seen people get stuck on it for months even years. Just doing the same thing over and over isn’t gonna help if you plateau. 

Thanks again, good luck to you!

Marko Sekulic
28 minutes ago, Tom Bussien said:

I heard of GtG, unfortunately, I workout in a gym and I don’t have a set of rings in my room like you, so I can’t really apply that protocol.

This sucks...yes GTG works only if you have conditions for it, thats why it is most useful with bodyweight exercises. But it doesnt really matter...just do 3-5 sets, 3-5 reps in your workout, (you can do it even on leg day, or core day, or whatever. Job needs to be done, when, is less matter.) and make sure you use weight where you can keep clean, full ROM reps, and you will see progress fast.

33 minutes ago, Tom Bussien said:

But I think increasing my strength will probably help me get to the final steps of this progression. Otherwise I’ve seen people get stuck on it for months even years. Just doing the same thing over and over isn’t gonna help if you plateau. 

Truth...all of it.

Bill Marr

Great idea, Marko. I'm on Foundation 2 and 3 for many of the PE's in GST--but have been stuck on PE2 for both HBP and RC for well over a year. Gonna work on GtG to push through these d**n exercises.

Thanks again,

Bill

Marko Sekulic

Hey Bill,

2 hours ago, Bill Marr said:

I'm on Foundation 2 and 3 for many of the PE's in GST

Wow, that is great man...I know this means a lot, because I am still on F1 and I am in the best shape of my life already. :D

Yap, this can be done easily I think, because this are opposite muscle groups and you can perform them one after another...also GTG  for 2 exercises is still very doable.

I dont have any limitations (for now) for pushing strength, and to keep it that way, I warm up with weighted mastered progression. Righ now, I am working on HBP PE4, and doing 15 reps +5kg push-ups for warm up, and it works quite nicely, so I would recommended them to burst through your plateau.

Glad I could help.

Good luck with your training.

Alessandro Mainente

The tempo is good, well notice that in the course video the ideal top position is with hands closed to the shoulders. can you replicate that with that tempo?

Alessandro Mainente

The closer the hand to the shoulder at the top the better it is....this video is better for sure! i like your approach! never stop correcting!

Marko Sekulic

Thank you @Alessandro Mainente, should I continue forward now? 

Yap...when your goal in life is to be the best possible version of yourself, corrections never ends.

Can you check my spl pe4 mastery check please, no one else dropped any comment?

Alessandro Mainente

i'll go for it....yes you can move on here.

Bill Marr

Hey @Marko Sekulic:

When GtG, what are doing to add weight to the various exercises? For instance, you say above you add 5 kg to HBP push-ups. How do you add the weight? Right now, I am not adding weight but GtG with push-ups with my feet elevated to shoulder height--several sets of 5 reps spaced throughout each day. Same with RC. You are adding 5kg to elevated rows--where do you put the weight? In your lap? 

Just curious as to your methodology. BTW--so impressed with how you Euros handle communication in English. I'm working on my competency in Italian every day right now--but so impressed with how Europeans are so multi-lingual!

One last question--how do you enter a name so it shows up highlighted, like in your post referencing Alessandro?

Thanks again for your suggestions. Have a terrific week!

Bill

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey @Bill Marr, you can tag someone by using the "@" symbol followed by the user's name.

Marko Sekulic

Hey Bill,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyAZE7NvRB0

 This is how I attach the weight...I do it with a chain here, because it is still small weight and it is not uncomfortable, but you can do it with karate/judo/bjj belt, alone, or in combination with gym belt, or you can use 2 resistance band, that will do the job also. On pushups it slide off me, because i didnt attached it right, usualy I do, but you get the point...If you mean how much weigth should you add, what Pavel recommended, and what I do also, is use some weight and test your max clean reps with that weight, and than drop reps by 50%...that is the number of reps you use for GtG with that weight. Rep range where you should end up is 1-5, but I will suggest 3-5, to get more volume in, and to keep clean, full ROM reps, without grind.  

GtG with bodyweight harder variations of the exercises is also good idea, that will work also. But remember goal here is strength, so intensity must be higher that usual...

And dont do GtG for weighted pushups (basic ones...I started doing it for elevated pike pushups), I just warm up with them for my upper body sessions.

9 hours ago, Bill Marr said:

BTW--so impressed with how you Euros handle communication in English.

Hahaha dont be impressed with my English...most of the time I use my phone wich correct all my spelling mistakes...righ now I am using my computer and probably this post is full of grammatical errors.:D

 

9 hours ago, Bill Marr said:

One last question--how do you enter a name so it shows up highlighted, like in your post referencing Alessandro?

Just put this sign, @, and start typing someones name, and when it pops out, click on it.

9 hours ago, Bill Marr said:

Thanks again for your suggestions. Have a terrific week!

No problem man. Thanks, you too!

Bill Marr

Great info, @Marko Sekulic! Awesome that you took the time to shoot the video. This give me everything I need now to GtG and progress out of these d**n PE2's for RC and HBP.

Have a terrific week.

Bill