This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Supine Flare substitute/scaling for clicking hip

Started by Zane Bannister, September 10, 2018 · 3 Replies · 124 Views

Zane Bannister

Hi GST afficianados!!

Ive been working through the middle split stretch series- had some issues with Supine Flares- right hip clicked every rep (loud clunk). I’ve got FAI and a labral tear in that hip, but want to improve mobility as much as possible (without further damage!)- any suggestions for a modified version? Anyone else experience this and have suggestions? 

Loving GST- and feeling great already!! 

Cheers,

 

 Zane 

Nick Murray

No idea about flairs, but IF you have a pre-existing injury, the best strategy is to slowly move into the end range, and stay there for a while, rather than transitioning constantly. Without pain.

I remember seeing some people doing cossack squats, they seemed to spend more time transitioning than actually in the position. I spend 10s at least at each position, and seem to get better results.

Have you been formally diagnosed? What is going to happen? Surgery?

Zane Bannister

Thanks Nick! Yep, I'll give that approach a shot. I was probably guilty of trying to complete the rep rather than focus on the position. Yes, formal diagnosis and was recommended to have hip arthroscopy. No pain though, mostly, and conflicting evidence on whether surgery will have any long term benefits (or down sides). Keeping strong and mobile is my approach. Thanks!

Nick Murray

Just to give some more context, both my shoulder capsules have been tightened, as they were (apparently) lax. Not sure about the left one, but it's a bit late now.

Even though I can do some relatively heavy-duty work (eg tuck planche, 4 x 25s, 5 on a good day), my shoulders always feel weak. I've managed just today to get 2 x 10 front dumbell raises, and 2 x 10 side raises supinated grip. With 4kg (about 9lb!). A long way to go, and getting the arms vertical is quite painful because of the tightening of the capsules at the bottom. I know I said "no pain" above, but there is a difference between something feeling sore, and something feeling as if it's about to snap. Non-threating pain vs threatening pain, similar to the feeling you get when you stretch hamstrings. So slow, long-duration movements seem to help, at least for me.

If you can get to where you want to go without surgery, that's great!