This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE1 + IM

Started by David Pardy 340028, August 29, 2018 · 10 Replies · 104 Views

David Pardy 340028

In the video it appears as though I'm piking at the hips a bit.  Is this correct or is it just the angle I've filmed at?  Any other advice please?

 

Jeffrey Bittner

You're spot on, David! You are picking up some pike as you do this exercise. Aim to keep a strong posterior pelvic tilt (PPT) as you do these. I also recommend slowing your reps down so that you can focus on hitting strong protraction at the top of each rep as well.

David Pardy 340028

Thanks for the advice once again!

David Pardy 340028

Ok, another attempt!  It's been a while due to a couple of injuries and work+home life being incredibly busy, but here we go.  I think I've corrected the piking and the protraction.

 

Dan Schreter

Hey David,

I'm not a coach, and have only not so long ago reached good form on this, but I'm pretty good at seeing this type of detail. So anything I say should be validated by a coach, but I hope this is still helpful. Anyway, after the mandatory disclaimer: Seems to me you're not piking any more, and the protraction is much better than the first video. However, your shoulders are elevated (sometimes referred to as shrugged), and should be depressed (this might also be limiting your protraction somewhat) - in that sense, the first video was better. Correcting this will probably not be very hard - you may want to stand a couple of cm closer to the bar (you're in Australia, right? Assuming you're familiar with cm, otherwise I'd guess I mean an inch or two). 

David Pardy 340028

Thanks for the advice, Dan, I was actually thinking the same thing myself as I didn't feel as comfortable with my positioning today and I'm thinking I should lower the bar a little bit too considering the difference in elevation between these and regular pushups.  I'll see how I go fixing the shoulder elevation next time!

David Pardy 340028

Ok, another update.  How I felt while doing it and looking in the mirror I thought my shoulders were much more depressed than they appear to be in the video.  Thoughts?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Nice execution, slow down a bit the elbow extension.

David Pardy 340028

Ok thank you!

David Pardy 340028

How am I looking?  Ready to move on to PE2?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Very nice!