This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN PE2

Started by Dan Schreter, August 29, 2018 · 4 Replies · 56 Views

Dan Schreter

My PT suggested I do J-curls, so started in parallel to PE1 - and also doing the PE in between. As my back is weak and I'll need a very long time to build up the weight, it's probably a good idea anyway. Would appreciate any feedback and suggestions. Additionally, a few questions about the J-curl:

1. I've seen instructions here to keep the weight as close to the body as possible, and elsewhere to let it hang. Those are somewhat contradictory... Reps 1-3 in the iM video (side view) are different versions of this, what is the most correct? The first emphasizes hanging the weight, while curling the way that made most sense to me, and within that keeping the weight as close as I could to the body. In the second, while curling, I was leaning back a bit, which got the weight closer to the body, but didn't feel right. In the third I pulled the weight to my legs, but then it's not hanging.

2. My PT recommended I do J-curls with my feet slightly apart from each other. Is this acceptable? I've had minor back issues in the past, and this does reduce some of the tightness. To explain, reps 4-5 are videoed from the front, where 4 is similar to 1 (feet together) and 5 is with the feet apart.

3. Currently using 1.5 Kg, planning to go up by 0.5 Kg increments (for as long as I can), when I feel very comfortable with the weight. Doing J-curls as warmup for every F1 workout, so 3 times a week. Expect\hope to bump the weight this way every 2-3 weeks. Does this make sense? While I don't do anything else for the full ROM, in parts of it I routinely lift much larger weights (my kids, currently up to 18 Kg and gradually increasing).

PE:

 

iM:

 

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Schreter

@Alessandro Mainente, tagging you as you suggested. Many thanks for the feedback.

Alessandro Mainente

HI Dan in the PE you need to open more the legs and reach a better compression. in the JC you need to hold the weight always closer to the body as much as possible.

Dan Schreter

@Alessandro Mainente - should I pull the weight to the body even if it means it won't be hanging? Also, do I need to keep the feet together, or is it acceptable to have them about 5 cm apart (as my PT suggested)?

Alessandro Mainente

Feet should be together, the necessity of having the weight closer is linked to the amount of stress on the spine with a weight far from the body. the less the distance from the body the less the stress.