This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Traps used in retraction?

Started by Jako Barker, August 27, 2018 · 2 Replies · 92 Views

Jako Barker

Hello all,

I have noticed that when I am retracting my scapula, such as in RC/PE2 Ground Rows, I have a tendency to activate my traps. It doesn't seem like my shoulders elevate, but the traps definitely are engaged. I've tried retracting and protracting my scapula while standing and I can retract without engaging the traps, but it feels less strong.

My question is, do I need to retract without activating my traps at all for RC/PE2 and similar?

Thank you.

Alessandro Mainente

HI jako, since the isolation in muscles contraction is impossible, you cannot really retract without using the traps. 

standing and lying is a different position so a comparison has a sense to a certain point.

if you feel too much the higher traps maybe you are not assuming a correct depression and the retraction comes with scapulae elevated.

Leon Clough

Alesandro is correct. The traps accomplish a variety of tasks. The middle trapezius moves the scapulae in retraction (addiction). Kinda hard not to engage them.

Leon