Sequence of skill learning and their ratings

Started by Martial83, April 20, 2010 · 5 Replies · 3,041 Views

Martial83

Hi everyone I'm new here and have a quick question. My background is martial arts and acrobatics, but I want to increase strength and incorporate gymnastic skills into my training and routines. So around 2 months ago I bought some rings and am loving the challenge! I'm progressing pretty quickly, having got my muscle up, back lever and l sit down, and am working other skills now.

My question is, Ive been dedicating a fair amount of time to the planche, as this is one of my goals. Another goal however is the iron x. The PL and Iron X are C and B rated respectively. Would it make more sense to work on the iron x first seeing as it's a lower rated skill and thus should be more easily attained compared to PL? And would working this way give a greater strength base to help PL development?

Many thanks for your help!

Paul

Razz

You can (should) work on them simoultaneously. A more correct way of thinking progress through the ratings would be straddle planche (B) to planche ©. Or IC (B) to nakayama (D) just examples :P

Martial83

I see, thanks for that. That's what I've been doing, working through progressions for all of them, just didn't know if that's overdoing it / effective method.

Related to that, I currently train all skills equally during a session, i.e. I've worked out 4 ring routines, one for PL, one for IC, one for FL / BL and the other swinging elements. I train each routine during every session. Is this effective or would splitting between maybe pull and push days be more beneficial? I have good recovery time so overtraining doesn't usually bother me unless i really go mental with it lol.

Hope that makes sense, thanks for the help!

Razz

Depends how much you are working out, if it's 6 days a week splitting is probably best unless your recovery is amazing. If it's every 2 days keep it like you have it. That's just general guidelines though, it all depends on how good your recovery ability is, and as long as you are consistently making progress you'll know you are on the right track :)

Martial83

Thanks again, much appreciated :)

Due to work and home life balancing I train gymnastics and skill work around 4 times a week, so should be fine with current approach. On the offdays I'm usually annoying the girlfriend by doing handstands on the wall or tornado kicks across the living room haha!

Yeah I struggle to sit still :)

Razz

No problem :) poor girlfriend of yours :lol: