This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question about form checks

Started by David Pardy 340028, August 23, 2018 · 6 Replies · 189 Views

David Pardy 340028

Hi all, I've just started with Foundations 1 after being recommended by a work colleague. I have a bit of history with power lifting and CrossFit, as well as some basic bodyweight and my attempts at gymnastics holds.

 

I just have one question regarding form check videos, am I required to submit one before I can move on from a mastered exercise? I ask because I tested for mastery for SLS Pe1 and felt good about it but didn't think to video myself. I'm happy to submit a check but just wondering if in future I should always just video my mastery attempts anyway.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi David, sometimes happens that students think that their form is good....they proceed into the course and then one day the ask for a form review and something is not good and sometimes it is because the previous elements were not correct.

so my suggestion is still asking for a review, then if you can perform it for the mastery and the form is ok...you can move on.

David Pardy 340028

Thanks Alessandro, that makes sense!

I didn't get time today to do my workout much to my disappointment, but will get back onto that all next week and get some videos up for review for all PE1 and IM movements.

Dominik Greven

Where do I "test for mastery" as you described here in your first post?

 

Alessandro Mainente

UNtil in foundations 2 you are not allowed to do the test for mastery on your own especially if you are completely new to GST work. the necessity to build up good habits requires a step by step approach.

Dan Schreter

@Alessandro Mainente, as far as I understand you're talking about testing for mastery separately from going through the progression. I know in the past people could do that (and also in progressions in F2 and later), so that's probably a good caution for those who've been here longer.

I could be wrong, but I get the sense that @Dominik Greven may be newer to this forum, and looking for the definition of mastery (sorry if I misunderstood). In that case, I would say that testing for mastery is just passing the last step of each of the progressions. It's recommended to video yourself doing so and post as a form check to get an ok from the forum coaches.

 

Alessandro Mainente

I consider the possibility of the mastery only in the case of an experienced people with bodyweigth training and perfect form check. I mean that if you perform 15 pushups and 10 are bad there is no reason to test for mastery. in that case, i suggest at least to submit a video with some reps.