This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pike inspiration

Started by Tim Kaplan, August 21, 2018 · 7 Replies · 303 Views

Tim Kaplan

So I’m super inflexible to the point where it feels impossible to change, and the pic shows the absolute lowest I can go. I hope to change this through daily limber and the front split series.

I found Leigh’s Kettle’s posts inspiring and wanted to see if anyone else who started being off as bad as me can share their progress? 

Just for inspiration!

170B4575-05AB-41D7-A60F-E848C09BBA44.jpeg

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hi Tim. I started exactly like you. Here is the post with my pike progress:

 

Tim Kaplan

Nice one Antonio, good progress!

Leigh Kettle

I appreciate your kind words tim

Ive literally just posted a video on my Instagram account showcasing how far I’ve come with this brilliant program

im now kissing my shins in my fold :)

my advice to you is be patient and consistent and as coach says “for the 45 mins put the effort in. “

I also would add in some daily light work and in general all the foundation and stretch courses I believe have combined to get me where I have so far 

another great tip I got off one of my main helpers here @Alessandro Mainente Was to practice some of your straight leg pike work with a very slight bend in the leg - this really helped me early on  I would maintain apt and then that small bend at the knee would allow me to go a little deeper  . Then when you are there actively try and straighten the leg 

good luck and keep us posted on your progress

leigh

Craig Copeland

Tim:

the orange t-shirt photo is November of 2015 (I hadn't stretched in -- legitimately -- 30 years).  The red t-shirt photo is about 3 months ago maybe. It's really useful to take a photo of your pike (or middle split, or shoulder bridge) every couple months so you can see the progress.

Also, if you search this form and the middle split forum, you'll find some posts by a bunch of people who post a progress picture on or about January 1st each year.  

Best of luck,

Craig

F9100DB0-B6F0-4903-8EAA-E23AAC1FF511.thumb.jpeg.7a20330f563a5e0319aa274ebdd6b47e.jpeg1656291005_standingpike112F162F14.thumb.JPG.ea31e69bcdeb6ef9957be6c468bd4f79.JPG

Paul Bassett
On 9/11/2018 at 6:02 PM, Leigh Kettle said:

I appreciate your kind words tim

Ive literally just posted a video on my Instagram account showcasing how far I’ve come with this brilliant program

im now kissing my shins in my fold :)

my advice to you is be patient and consistent and as coach says “for the 45 mins put the effort in. “

I also would add in some daily light work and in general all the foundation and stretch courses I believe have combined to get me where I have so far 

another great tip I got off one of my main helpers here @Alessandro Mainente Was to practice some of your straight leg pike work with a very slight bend in the leg - this really helped me early on  I would maintain apt and then that small bend at the knee would allow me to go a little deeper  . Then when you are there actively try and straighten the leg 

good luck and keep us posted on your progress

leigh

5

Cheers for the tips Leigh! 

Does that work in the pancake also?  The slight bend?

Leigh Kettle

Hey mate 

I’ve never tried slightly bent knees in pancake but I guess the same principle applies . Would be worth getting coaches to clarify tho 

all the best 

Leigh 

Paul Bassett

I know that the FRC guys recommend a slight bend in the knee to ensure the Sciatic nerve is not the one being stretched.