This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progessions / Scaling for shoulder extension

Started by Nils Kernell, August 21, 2018 · 5 Replies · 172 Views

Nils Kernell

Hi!

I have used GB for 7 months and during this time my shoulder extension has gotten much better, I used to get pain in my elbows but this is getting better! However I still get some pain in elbows during the end of the 2 minutes.  I've been to MD he said fine, and my PT said it was due to limiting external rotation in shoulders.

I can now sit with arms behind me, little fingers touching with a small angle for the full 2 minutes of the stretch. My questions is regarding how I should progress to increase the angle in the excersice.

As I see it there are three ways of doing this?

  1. Widening my hands (little fingers not touching) allows me to increase angle quite a bit - and then working on narrowing my hands
  2. Shortening the time of the strech making it easier to hold the increased angle and then increase time
  3. Keep current form and time and marginally increase the angle 

Thanks!

Nils

Antonio Alías Montoya

I would do all of them. By the way I got rid completlely from my elbow pain when working shoulder extension by stretching my triceps (Coach Alessandro´s advice). Complete realease of my triceps took only 3 months, very little compared to what other muscles need if you ask me...

Alessandro Mainente

The option number 3 is better.

Marko Sekulic
19 hours ago, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

I would do all of them. By the way I got rid completlely from my elbow pain when working shoulder extension by stretching my triceps (Coach Alessandro´s advice). Complete realease of my triceps took only 3 months, very little compared to what other muscles need if you ask me...

Hi Antonio,

Which strech did you used for triceps? Can you post a picture?

Antonio Alías Montoya
7 hours ago, Marko Sekulic said:

Hi Antonio,

Which strech did you used for triceps? Can you post a picture?

Knees in the floor in front of a couch, bring your right hand to your right upper back, place your elbow on the couch and press down your shoulder. Repeat with the other arm. It s like elevated cat (shoulder flexion) strecht but with bent elbows and one arm at a time. Depending on how you do it, you strecht your lats as well.

Marko Sekulic

I know that strech like a "Butcher's block". :)

I am also doing it...

Thanks, Antonio.