This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New to Gymnastic Bodies, Ape scaled

Started by Rich Surich, August 16, 2018 · 10 Replies · 141 Views

Rich Surich

Hi,  I've started the Fundamentals and after a week, my Ape is getting better but I still can't get my butt low enough to the floor.   I'm barely below knee height and definitely too stiff to walk in Ape.  

Given my limitations, I've modified Foundation Day 1 to just sitting for :30 in my best Ape. My question is, while I'm sitting in this position, should i continue hollowing myself with a pelvic tilt and (2) keep a straight arm by engaging the back with packed shoulders and a proud chest?  I've been trying to cork screw my fists to achieve this position.  Am I on the right track?

Looking fwd to your reply.  Thanks. 

Ps

a bit about me.  I've spent 25 yrs working behind a desk, in front of a terminal.  I'm fit but lack mobility.  My goal is Russian Kettlebell Certification and know I must build-back my natural ROM, esp. shoulder/thoracic before I attempt the RKC test.   I have a hunch Gymnastic Bodies will get me there and a whole lot more!  Thanks again. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Rich, before giving suggestion can you post a video of your execution?

Rich Surich

my Ape

thanks! 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Rich , can I ask you uploading the video on youtube? if you use google drive I need to ask you for the permission and it takes time. use youtube.

Alessandro Mainente

You must put the video under "unlisted" now probably the video is private because I cannot see it.

Rich Surich

Thanks for your patience, Alessandro.   This should be good to view:  

 

Alessandro Mainente

hey Rich do you feel that you are falling backward if you try to reach lower?

Rich Surich

Yes, I will fall backwards.  Should I stay on my toes?

Alessandro Mainente

Probably the limitation can be the ankles. try putting a light surface (something with a height of a 1 cm) under the heels, you can move lower then the problem is the ankles. take note of this problem and progress further into fundamental.

Rich Surich

Thanks Alessandro. I will do as you recommend and update you on my progress.   addio il mio allenatore virtuale!