This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form checks and butterfly stretch question

Started by Thomas Nordman, August 16, 2018 · 4 Replies · 106 Views

Thomas Nordman

Hi,

I started the MS series a few weeks ago and I think I'm doing ok on most stretches form wise.  The one I can't do properly is the butterfly stretch and I'm trying to understand why. Despite elevating myself I can't flatten my back. As soon as I pull my feets to the groin the lower back is pushed into flexion and rounds. Elevating the butt more just puts too much pressure on my ankles and feets. The only way for me to feel a good stretch in the groin is to lean back and push the pelvis forward using my arms. Anyone that can help me understand where my limitiation/restriction is?

Along with the butterfly stretch variations I added some pics to show my form on some of the other stretches. Feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Butterfly stretch attempt:

IMG_1238.thumb.PNG.4ecde183f9193532e108da25e4875607.PNG

Butterfly stretch variation:

IMG_1239.thumb.PNG.b21cf24a39ac7496f13ae5b389babbc0.PNG

Floating pancake:

IMG_1243.thumb.PNG.0bea33d6b4dbe0fc3551a0f594ef7262.PNG

Diamond frog:

IMG_1240.thumb.PNG.dd218cddc2283254313da0a1dc358043.PNG

Piriformis R:

IMG_1241.thumb.PNG.ecf15cfa00a9af0ed22544a5ba1590cf.PNG

Piriformis L:

IMG_1242.thumb.PNG.af64969fcba5c727d32e9705521b4e18.PNG

Alessandro Mainente

IN this case, the capability to make your lower back flat is reduced from the posterior hips capsule. My suggestion is having a check from a PT, then if this is the problem I can give you something more specific.

Thomas Nordman

Ok thanks @Alessandro Mainente, I'll have it checked.

Is the form ok on the other stretches? 

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

yes they are ok.

Thomas Nordman

Great. Thanks for helping @Alessandro Mainente.