This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip Flexion or Hamstrings?

Started by Tertius Carstens, August 8, 2018 · 7 Replies · 350 Views

Tertius Carstens

So I can't bend past 90 degrees when doing seated good mornings whilst sitting in a straddle without bending my back. I.e. can't bend at the hips.

So for the past few months I've been doing my stretch series with this in mind. Only trying to bend at the hip (and therefore stretch the hamstrings more) than just bending my back.

I don't know if this is a hamstring or hip flexor issue.

Any help to figure this out would be appreciated.

(And yes I sit a lot.)

Alessandro Mainente

The problem for sure is a combination of :

-tight calves;

-tight glutes;

-tight hamstring.

 

Julian Krimmel

I have the same problem as Tertius. what would be some additional exercises i could do during the rest of the week. maybe while watching TV just to loosen those thight areas?

or should i do a different program instead of the stretch series to adress those deficiencies first. with the other exercises i feel fine.

Alessandro Mainente

For now, the stretch series is enough progressive to build good habits. depending on your daily work (such a desk work or a standing work) you can have more benefits practicing some exercise every day.

Julian Krimmel

thanks for the answer. which test would you recomend to see which area needs the most work. and what exercises can i do respectively on a more regular basis?

Alessandro Mainente

What is your work?

Julian Krimmel

I am not sure what you mean. I try to do the strech series every week and do the foundation course once. If you mean what I do for a living, I work in an office at a desk. I would really appreciate some tips how I can adress the weaknesses, as I feel they are limiting the effectivness of the middle split series (when coach say during the video chest bearly of the ground not on the ground, i can hardly get any forward tilt :D). 

Alessandro Mainente

So desk work, for your personal habits on work that means bent knees and hips flexed you should use the front split series for hamstring and quads and the bridge course for your abs.