I am doing BW chins & pullups using a thick bar device so it is now 2.4" diameter and very tough on the forearms. Reps are roughly halved on both, about 6-8 down from 12-16 reps. I have read on various sites that the forearms can be trained more frequently as they recover faster. I feel these thick bar pulls/chins a lot more in the forearm and figure that the rest of the muscles are not being worked as hard. Therefore I am wondering if I could train more frequently, as I would see the other muscles being worked sort of like GTG as they are only experiencing half the reps. I was thinking of maybe increasing from 2-3 to 4-6days per week.
I realise it would not be exactly the same for my other muscles as doing half my regular reps on a normal bar as they might work harder to compensate for the weak forearm link.
Just to note I am not a gymnast but enjoy many of the simple BW exercises and have rings. I value grip/forearm strength very highly while it might not be of the same benefit to gymnasts (in case people thought I should focus elsewhere)