Hi everyone, I'm brand new to GB ... a former martial artist until I got one too many injuries. How do I upload a 7 min video of me doing Day one of the Thoracic series? I want to post it so you can see where I am physically then I'd like the forum's comments to help me find the best program for me in GB.com.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Seeking advise for best GB program
Started by Michael McDaniel, July 28, 2018 · 8 Replies · 258 Views
hi MIchael, follows instructions:
-register on youtube;
-upload the video and set it on "unlisted"
-copy the link and create a post in the private section of the stretch series in the forum.
These 2 videos (about 3-4 min each) are my first day at GST. I post them hoping experienced GSTers can help to point me toward the most appropriate starting point. I already know I'm stiff but especially in my shoulders due to multiple rotator cuff surgeries. I also know my back is stiff because I have lumbar and cervical arthritis with thoracic issues too. My back is in pain 24/7 so that's a priority. Shoulder mobility and strength needs help so that I can work on things such as my thoracic bridge to help that pain level go down. So, how do I proceed to get maximum results in the shortest time? I really need to feel some pain relief. I'm 56 yo, eager to get started but immensely tired of things that don't help reduce my pain.
It was under the wrong sub forum. Post them again in the thoracic bridge forum, so the coaches can review your videos.
Hey Michael before giving you further suggestions... did you completely recovered from rotator cuff problem? complete rehab?
personally, i find that you major limitation, for now, is shoulder extension (showed in the first exercise) /flexion and for sure upper back in both extension and flexion.
some suggestions regard the 2nd video:
-exercise at 2:15: the ball must be inflated as much as possible and it must be positioned under the shoulder rather than the middle back.
-exercise at 2:39: try to hold the hands under the shoulder and not wider.
One never completely recovers from rotator cuff tears but I did very well in rehab. Both shoulders lack mobility and left shoulder still has some pain in certain movements.
I understand your two suggestions.
How do I work on my back? It moves like a single, inflexible unit. I'm in pain 24/7 and loose many hours of sleep every night due to back pain. Do I continue with the thoracic bridge even though I can't do it due to both shoulder and back limitations?
In this case i can only suggest to take a further step back and consider the restore series for spine and shoulders definitely. The loss of sleep is a serious problem.
Hi Michael,
I'm not a coach nor am I advanced in anyway, shape or form in gst, but a few months of this stuff made my back pain disappear completely (I have a past of chronic lower back pain that went from debilitating to mild at times but was always present).
So maybe there's hope for you too !
I started fondation, handstand and the three stretch series at the same time, so I couldn't really say wich one did it, probably the combination is what made it work so well.
My pain diminished gradually, wich led me to sleep more/better gradually, wich helped the pain, etc...
Just wanted to share my experience with you
Thank you for the encouragement Hendri.