This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated Thoracic Bridge

Started by sj2504, July 26, 2018 · 2 Replies · 151 Views

sj2504

I can't do elevated thoracic bridge with straight legs. Even if I bend them it is a very difficult position for me.  What exercises can I do to prepare for this?

Susan Shea

Same for me. While I can do TB with feet on floor and the head to floor push-ups, if I put my legs on anything higher than the first rung (6" high) my arms buckle. I've started lifting one leg up a bar for as long as I can. I make sure I'm back far enough from the stall bars (using the modeling videos). Also, from standing, I can't yet walk my arms down (or up) the bars behind me into bridge. I'm not sure if I have a physical issue, or if it's because I'm afraid I'm going to fall on my head. At any rate, I plan to get a friend to spot me for this particular exercise and see how my body does. If there are more incremental steps I could do please share. Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hey you guys. Try throwing in the front lever mobility drills from Foundation One and Two at the end of the series. The forearm bridge from Foundation Two performed with elevated feet is an especially great scaling option. 

Don't get discouraged though. It is totally normal to not be able to complete the entire series at first. Even if you didn't do any extra bridge work for now, the earlier portions of the series will ultimately prepare you for the elevated bridge work. 

In your case, Susan, it's best to avoid the bridge with feet on the floor. That is not an appropriate substitute for the elevated work, which better targets thoracic mobility in beginners.